Motorcycle or scooter front wheel for a Baja Warrios?

philbo

Hi guys, thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Does anyone know if there is a direct swap of a motorcycle wheel and tire combo that will fit directly on the front forks of a Baja Warrior?

Just wondering as I see some cheap wheels on craigslist and thought I could get a street tire at the same time.

Didn't know if the front bearing was a common bearing between the Baja and a motorcycle.

Any one see anything like this? Thought it would be cool to get a spoked wheel up front.

Thanks!

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
You will need to do lots of research.

How tall is your tire?
What size is your axle?
What room do you have between the forks?

Most motorcycle wheels use a 15mm axle.

I had to check lots of wheels and check bearing sizes before I
made a purchase.

capguncowboy

If the width and height of the wheel/tire will fit, you can always change the bearings out so they fit. You might even be able to pull your current front bearings and pop them onto the new wheel.

philbo

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

I forgot what I measures but I think .5 or .6 inches rings a bell as far s the bearings for the Baja Warrior when I looked online a while ago. So if a lot of motorcycles have 15mm bearings that's pretty close. Not sure what I have between the forks. Will have to measure.

The Bajas use 19x7-8 tires. Since I'm looking at the front only at this point the height can be off a little bit. Most motorcycle tires I think aren't as wide as the Baja at 7 inches wide.

I figured with a motorcycle rim I can find more availability of a street tire. Don't want to mess with the rear as it has the sprocket mounted on it and also the rear brake assembly. When time comes to replace it I might go with a 20 inch Kenda Speed Racer tire, a little taller so as to help the top speed a little. The Speed Racer tires aren't DOT approved so just looking for options.

I'll keep perusing craigslist to look for a deal on a wheel. I have an extra front axle shaft so I can bring it with me to size up the bearings/wheel.

Thanks again!

philbo

Hey, those are pretty cool looking tires, thanks.

Kinda weird how they are ok in Europe but not DOT approved. I wonder why. At least they look more street like as far as the tread goes, better ride too I assume vs the knobby tires.

Yeah, there's some stuff that had to be done. I talked to the local police department and they weren't too picky. They were like just use common sense, ride to the right of the road, use a helmet, no riding until half hour after sunrise or stop half hour before sunset, obey traffic laws.

The brake set up I have is not hydraulic, it's mechanical. I used a brake switch from a motorcycle. Have headlight, turn signals, horn, mirrors.

My mini Baja uses a 15 mm Axle. The wheel is an 89 kawasaki ninja wheel. The tire is a Shinko SR567 110/70-16

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

philbo

My mini Baja uses a 15 mm Axle. The wheel is an 89 kawasaki ninja wheel. The tire is a Shinko SR567 110/70-16

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Aha! That's what I was looking for!

Looks great! Did you use the bearings from motorcycle wheel or from the Baja? Was it a straight swap? Did you have to fabricate anything? Thanks!

Aha! That's what I was looking for!

Looks great! Did you use the bearings from motorcycle wheel or from the Baja? Was it a straight swap? Did you have to fabricate anything? Thanks!
The bearings are from the motorcycle wheel. I did some research, and found out that the early Kawasaki ninjas were 15mm front axles. The only thing I had to fabricate were wheel spacers. I used 5/8" steel tubing. It was pretty easy.

The front tire is a Shinko SR567 110/70-16.

The rear wheel is mini baja wheel with a 19/8/8 kenda speedracer on it.

This might help you find the right wheel.
Axle diameter size list

philbo

Great info, Sandcracker! Thanks!

If I replace the rear tire I might go with a 20 inch rear tire to help with the top speed a bit. Figure there is enough room for it.

I'll study up that list! Thanks!