mtd 300/western flyer ss300

markus

They are kinda short between rear tire and motor, I think a briggs 5 may squeeze in there, but it would be tight. I only ever tried small block tecs on it, A big block would put the shaft out too far unless you used a TQ on it.

far as ride, well its a hardtail. seating and handlebar position is very comfortable, the frame is built well, the band brake works great for what it is, and the wheels are a great design if all the parts are there (smaller axles with stepped spacers).
The excessively long bolt that holds the forks on will take the brunt of a crash, which is good and bad. the spring works good though, but I suggest a plastic washer or something like that at the top as mine would clunk on the bumps.

I loved it on the street, I rode it all day at some swapmeets etc. on bumpy terrain and didn't love that :smile: its not nearly as long as a trail horse or bonanza but even @ 6' tall I found it very nice to ride.

the one I did:

I like mine too, long wheelbase and rides nice on the street and decent trails, the one I had as a kid had a 3.5 Tech on it, and I'm running a Honda 5.5 GX160 on the one I have now, I would think a Briggs 5HP would work but can't say for sure, My concern would be the tank hitting the fender and not the shaft being too far over........................Tom.