MTD Trail Flite: Which clutch did they use?

Today i have to pick engines for all the bikes i have yet to finish. Then selling the rest. These two I've not thought about till now as far as the clutch goes. I have two engines with the Fairbanks Morse Rupp style clutch (Does not say Rupp on them) stuck on them. Can I use that clutch? If not, what do they use. And i hope its not that clutch the MTD Columbia used.

I think mine has the asymmetrical comet on the 4hp and a Fairbanks on the 5hp and they are original. I don't know if it was a year thing or what. Your mtd with the motocross bars had a tecumseh hs50 and the front wheel is supposed to be 12" rear wheel 10". The one with adjustable bars is the 4hp version with 10" wheels on front and back. They are well made bikes and ride real nice with the earls leading link front end.

Last edited:
I think mine has the asymmetrical comet on the 4hp and a Fairbanks on the 5hp and they are original. I don't know if it was a year thing or what. Your mtd with the motocross bars had a tecumseh hs50 and the front wheel is supposed to be 12" rear wheel 10". The one with adjustable bars is the 4hp version with 10" wheels on front and back. They are well made bikes and ride real nice with the earls leading link front end.
Yeah the big wheel front one is the 703. This one is easily my favorite bike and i didnt want to start restoring it until I had become more familiar with minibikes in general. I love the front wheel suspension design. You can just tell its a great riding bike. I've got HS40 and H50's waiting for em. HS40 is lighted. Thanks for the input.

David Letterman endorses the Columbia's :)
I used to have a Letterman book. He put it out in the 80's. It had a page of "Unbelievable Events in History" in it, or something like that. On it it said, and I'm paraphasing here, "Timmy asked Mike if he could "See his minibike for a second". Exactly one second later Timmy stopped looking.