Murry lawn tractor w/B.S. 11HP

scootercat

Hey Gang, Its getting that time of the year when thoughts go to thrashing the grass so I've got this Murry tractor, last year I was cutting the back lot,beer in hand,mp3 player blasting in My head and cutting good,this thing just stopped running....At first I thought ,gas?...Nope just topped it off not less than 10 min.before....I went to crank it back up and it turned over real fast,faster than normal...So I finished My beer and pushed it back to the garage,popped the plug and checked the compression with the finger over the hole trick and spin it over by hand...Nothing!...Did I burn a hole in the piston?...I peeked into the hole and saw the valve seat!....Pulled the head and the seat came out of the block and was hanging around the valve holding it open!...I put it back in the block,spun it till the valve closed trapping it and setting it straight in the block then with a dead blow,lightly tapped it back in....Then I pulled out the small engine bible...B/S repair guide and looked for an answer to this problem and the fix to hold the seat in the block....It said to punch around the seat to peen the aluminum around the seat tighter....Long winded Huh?....My question is...Anyone have any problems like this with a vertical shaft engine?...Don't think it would happen on a horizontal shaft engine because of gravity....Scootercat....

jim210

I have a "like new" 8hp horizontal shaft in the garage that did the samething on the intake. It happens but I would make sure your intake and exhaust bolts are the correct length. If they are too long they can hit the seat and cause it to come loose