My brake cable is afraid....

Any body have a solution for a frayed cable end????? The rear brake on my Bronc is frayed and I can finagle it though the first pin with its smooth hole. BUT I cant get it to go though completely on the rear pin as it has a cross screw to tighten down to retain it. So it hangs up on the edge of the hole on the exit side.....

I though about Soldering it but figure that there is no way to get it tight and round as an end result.

Any suggestions???

Many many many thanks,

Doug

This is the brake without the pins installed

I agree..i use a small vise grip to twist wires tight..even if you have to keep pliers on the very end and solder with it on,if needed finish the little end with not much heat so you not losen what you just soldered. ;/

Use a pair of pliers to wind the wires tight, they will slip into place then solder them. Problem solved.
Nope. That was the very first thing I tried..... They are all deformed because they has a clamp screw on that spot and it twisted them up bad.... I will try it again but it didn't work the first time...

Thanks for the input.

Doug

I agree..i use a small vise grip to twist wires tight..even if you have to keep pliers on the very end and solder with it on,if needed finish the little end with not much heat so you not losen what you just soldered. ;/
That might work.... I will see if I can twist it tight enough to be small enough to work. Then solder it.

Thanks,

Doug

If you got a liitle left over when cable thru you could try a couple of wraps stretching electrical tape tight over it and quickly threading it thru before it wants to unwind..

Option 5 twist it and put shrink tubing on it then thread it thru...or steal one off a bicycle like i did and have a beer..

Last edited:
Just replace it.
I would if I could find the correct one Mark... Any suggestions? It has a small gold button on the handle end. I went on Rupp Parts and they use what looks like the same cable with the gold button. I just need to call and check on lengths and what button size they use.

Just replace it.
Best answer^^^^^ for YOUR situation. Then make sure and solder the end just slightly AFTER you install it so it will not fray again.
If you are installing cable, I take it that you got your brake band to align properly on the drum from your other post?
Michael

Best answer^^^^^ for YOUR situation. Then make sure and solder the end just slightly AFTER you install it so it will not fray again.
If you are installing cable, I take it that you got your brake band to align properly on the drum from your other post?
Michael
Yes and no. I was trying to get it to function and see how it acted when applied. I have the torque converter and the left handlebar on the table and was trying to put it all together and see what it did assembled. It seems to hang ok now but I wanted to engage it with the lever and see where it went. This was as far as I got. Its just to buggered up to cooperate...

Doug

Here you go Doug :thumbsup: Go Kart Galaxy - Throttle Cable & Fittings
In the top box get the 3/64 cable length you need, in the third box get the 3/16 conduit length you need, in the fifth box get the ball adapter you need for your lever :thumbsup: Get all your part number together and contact them for a shipping quote it will be a lot cheaper :thumbsup:
Go Kart Galaxy - How To Order Read down the how to order section :thumbsup:

Hope this helps
Randy

How in the sam hill do you solder cable?
Every time I've tried, it doesn't stick, no matter what flux or heat method I've used.

How in the sam hill do you solder cable?
Every time I've tried, it doesn't stick, no matter what flux or heat method I've used.
The trick is getting every bit of corrosion and petroleum traces off of the cable. This video is excellent, but I have had good results just using flux, propane, and solder. I also sand the strands with 400 grit. [video=youtube;F-gY27LTU2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-gY27LTU2c[/video]