My Heathkit Boonie

Ok I have been posting some questions lately on wheel alignment etc and have since finished the bike. Please be aware that if you are a purist and don't like to see modifications please stop reading after this.

Backstory:
I got the bike a couple years ago from a family friend for some computer work. It had bent forks, motor was locked up and rear brakes had been converted to some of foot brake system. I drug it down the street (literally rear tire would not move). From there I messed with the motor and was able to free it up but it has compression issues either valves, ring etc..). At that point I decided to put a bigger motor in the bike. As life does to you I had to put the project off for a couple years.

So first and foremost the forks had to be straightened. After I got to looking someone had cut them off and rewelded them on. With a little garage ingenuity I was able to straighten them. The bike does not pull at all. Then the frame was disassembled and painted. The foot pegs and handles has some rust pitting but was able to sand it out. One of the foot pegs was bent so that had to be straightened. Got the wheels freed up as well.

Next thing was to find a motor. I had an old 1985 Honda ATC 110 with hi/Low gears that was frame wise on its last leg. So that was the donor. My son and I pulled the motor, wiring harness, brake components etc.. After some trying to make the jackshaft work I decided the best route would be to use the ATV sprocket. So we welded the ATC sprocket to the original sprocket (with a little spacing) and moved the sprocket system to the driver’s side of the frame. Placed the motor in the frame and started aligning. It was a bit of a PITA but we got it. Made a custom chain tensioner and that was complete.

We attached all the throttle system, wiring and connected all the electrical. Utilized the motor mount hardware and attached it to the down tube on the frame. Spent some time aligning the rear wheel and front wheel. Bought an oversized air filter and attached it. I had an old police like light that I painted black and left the trim chrome. Also added a rear tail light. The braking system on these bike is grossly inadequate for the tire size in the rear. I built a custom foot brake pedal that later had to extend because of the motor width.

Then came the shifting issue because the ATC was originally a foot shit which would no longer work. So I came up with the idea that it would be different to have a suicide shifter. So a trip to the junkyard yielded a cool shift rod from a manual old tow truck. I cut the old foot shift down and welded the manual rod to it.

Had an old tract gas tank that my wife had the idea to use an old leather belt to attach to attach it which worked out awesome.

Last edited:
actually,i find this kinda interesting seeing as i have all those components already....
my thoughts on your bike,seeing as i have a boonie i was going to ratrod at one point w an 8hp..
i dont like your gas tank nor the round headlight....they just dont flow for me..the seat looks uncomfortable...odamm i dunno,just ignore me.
i do love the rest of it tho,Nice work.
questions abound...how fast will it go ie,whats your gearing........whats the accel like...
i wouldnt mind talkin about this more sometime,perhaps in pm?

btw the honda 110 donor,was the frame broken behind the motor mount both sides n rotted away too?
chuckles...

Definitely gotta Mad Max thing going on. Seat right outta 'what were they thinking...?' Can't hardly tell the front from the rear, 'cept which way yer lookin. Makes great sound though, and I love that mondo freakin headlight!. I'd build a whole minibike around THAT, which looks like you actually did! It's totally you. Now bring it to Reno, let's RIDE!:thumbsup:

The Honda had no frame issues it needed a lot of work more then it was worth putting in it. Thanks for the comments goo and bad I appreciate them all :)