my mini bike wont idle when choke is off

i bought a dbb30 a week ago for $10 it wasent running at all i got it running and the guy i bought it off of lost the drain screw on it. he put a screw on it that was to small and he put teflon tape around it. i took it of and rebuilt the carb and cleaned it out. if i seal around the screw with jb weld will it idle off of choke for a week or two untill i can get a new engine?

TomH

Welcome Haney. good job on getting it running. Who knows. take the carb off and go to the hardware store and get the right size/length metric screw and a little plastic washer for the carb. Just about any hardware store will have those pieces.

Haney, when you rebuilt the carb, are you sure you got all the jets/ports open? When it idles on choke but dies off choke, it could be a clogged port. I'm no expert--just thought to mention it since I've hit that one before.

TomH

Yeah, but if that rig up starts leaking you can burn something up. Not a good idea to rig something up when gas in involved...KA BOOM.

Yeah, but if that rig up starts leaking you can burn something up. Not a good idea to rig something up when gas in involved...KA BOOM.
Right. Can't have the drain open, obviously. Do what Tom said and go down to Ace or Town and Country Hardware or whatever they call it by you and find something to fit. Take the carb bowl with you.

And -then- go after the clogged port. I don't know how the drain leak could cause it to die when not choked unless it's some kind of vacuum thing.

Maybe you won't even need a new engine or will have an extra now like me, wondering what you can do with it :hack:

Did you check the tank? Any dirt in there can clog the system pretty quick. Try cleaning it out real well, pull the float bowl off, run some gas through to flush it out.

Dirt in the tank will clog the jet really quick. This is the most common problem is a clogged jet. I recommend to add a fuel filter and clean the carb, and it will be fine. UNLESS the jet is too small, causing a lean idle condition then u must get the next jet size up.

thanks for all the help i tried everything besides changing the jet it dident work. i got it running off of choke by turning the idle screw up until it would idle when its off but now it idles to high and the brakes hardly work anymore.

That is how those motors are.. You need more idle fuel mixture... You could try drilling out the idle jet, but I don't have any idea what size you'd need...

Like 5 thousandths bigger than ya got now.. :laugh:

thanks everyone for the help i figured it out theguy i bought it off of he had two gaskets next to eachother and i just took one out and it runs great now