My New Baby: Part Deux

What goes around comes around, or more accurately something got easy, not easily got rid of. Like the 1968 Taco 99 Trail Tamer I bought last year from Havasu Dave. I was happy as a pig in slop with it, until one day.....

The engine when I originally bought it was a heavily modified Briggs racing engine. Very high compression. Truthfully, I don't even know what that means, but I can tell you what it means on startup: that puppy kicks. You pull that rope on the wrong part of the cycle, it'll rip yer freakin hand off. I even wore gloves to start it, that's how tricky it was. And just when I thought I had it all figured out, near disaster struck: I pull the rope and it bucked so bad on me, I nearly tore off 2 fingers on my right hand for no less than a ten F:censure:K rant. My hand nearly doubled in size as I dove for the ice pack

I was so pissed, I listed all my minibikes for sale the next day (not the Lil Indians, I promised those to my son) but everything else. I was done. Months later, my hand is still sore. I can play drums, but I can hardly open a door handle or pick up hard, heavy objects:no:. I can't make a fist. It still hurts to twist the throttle on my other bikes, I have to grip just so. Motherf:censure:ker! Meanwhile, I'm entertaining for sale offers, and Havasu Dave chimes in. He would buy the Taco back for his display room he was planning. He wasn't sure when he was coming up to visit kids, so I would hold it for him. Done deal, off the market.

As as time goes by, Dave had second thoughts about taking it back because all his other projects, I had second thoughts about selling it because I loved it (I'm glad nobody bought my Bad Dog cos I like it again too!) so we arrived at a new agreement: I would keep the roller frame and he would take the engine. Perfect solution! I had an old Raptor III engine boxed away, and Dave agreed to coach me on painting and reconditioning it, which is detailed in another thread. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/briggs-and-stratton-engines/106606-bringing-raptor-online.html

So let's try this again, here she is, My New Baby, Part Deux. Still working on it, but coming along quite well.:thumbsup:

buckeye

Nothing wrong here.

So, where is this pain. Hand or wrist?
Is it super sensitive? Still swell?
Is there numbness? Other than opening the door dies it hurt any other time?
After this long things should be healed. You may have something that needs evaluated..
Just the ortho curosity in me.

The pain is at the base of my index and middle fingers. Super sensitive! If I pick up a hard object wrong, it's goin down. I'll forget sometimes and grab a door handle like normal, about brings me to my knees. It's better than it was, no swelling or numbness. Believe it or not, I CAN play drums, just a few twinges now n again to remind me.

Just getting old, arthritic, cranky......:wink:

So, where is this pain. Hand or wrist?
Is it super sensitive? Still swell?
Is there numbness? Other than opening the door dies it hurt any other time?
After this long things should be healed. You may have something that needs evaluated..
Just the ortho curosity in me.[/QUOTE]

No fist, you're correct. I know I'm mad. I've always been mad, just like the most of us. It's hard to explain why you're mad. Even if you're not mad.........:laugh:

Just a shout out to Havasu Dave for all his advice, coaching and encouragement.:clap::clap: I would NOT be doing this without him. The only cost? A promise. Like the ol' Devil himself, Dave took me to the mountain top, showed me the kingdom of the world and all its wonder spread beneath. He said all this was mine....as long I never put a clone in that Taco!

I'm goin to hell in a hat basket fowshow, cos I made that promise! Well there's hell and there's hell. This is a big bite for me, at one point I had more engine parts laying around than ever before. But I got it back together. And it starts. And it smokes.:doah:

That's the next part of the adventure.........but why??? Why did I make that promise? A clone would be so easy. 99 bucks and I'm done (I even have the extra jets n headers n air filters to do mods). Why did I have to choose such a strict traditionalist, vintage, mad Yoda restore-meister like Havasu Dave as my Great Teacher? Actually he looks like Gerard Depardieu, but why not Gumpit?? He'd just say 'clone it' and be done.

That's just life, I guess. No question, at the moment I am definitely on the road less travelled.

i hear what you are saying jbrocks........that little car in my avatar reminds me of exactly what you are talking about......the old stuff seems so primitive now and in todays world everything has to be the best or fastest or what ever........I guess I just wish for the way things were......when I drove that little car I had the feel of the road in my hands and the wind in my hair........for me, its about preserving which keeps my memories alive...........things move fast in todays world and I for one just like to step back and go to my safe place and this site does it for me..........

i hear what you are saying jbrocks........that little car in my avatar reminds me of exactly what you are talking about......the old stuff seems so primitive now and in todays world everything has to be the best or fastest or what ever........I guess I just wish for the way things were......when I drove that little car I had the feel of the road in my hands and the wind in my hair........for me, its about preserving which keeps my memories alive...........things move fast in todays world and I for one just like to step back and go to my safe place and this site does it for me..........
Does it for me too Tippy. My wife says she can always tell when I'm on OldMiniBikes because the look on my face - somewhere between a grin and a laugh. Guess I don't look like that reading Drudgereport or inforwars. There must be a certain Zen to the whole thing, it does relax me, it does stretch my boundaries, it does me happy when almost NOTHING does anymore. Not IT, but you, and Havasu Dave, and Buckeye, and Mike R, and Gumpit, and mbdutch, and OND......really everyone here that shares my love of minibikes!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

joshua. c.

Its good to hear you didn't loose a bike you love over getting angry at the engine. Iv nearly broken my hand a few times trying to start my briggs raptor but i realized it only kicks when the throttle is open. The key to eazy starting is, it to prime it or close the choke and pull start it with the throttle fully closed then after it fires quickly idle it up a bit to get it running. the bike has never kicked starting it that way. i dont let people start that bike without showing them how first.

buckeye

The base of your fingers in the palm?

I'm just thinking that you bruised that puppy bad. Ibuprofen, Aleve, ect, if there are no contraindications with you've advanced age.:laugh:

The base of your fingers in the palm?

I'm just thinking that you bruised that puppy bad. Ibuprofen, Aleve, ect, if there are no contraindications with you've advanced age.:laugh:
Buckeye, when my hand swelled up, it was in a bad place. It really looked like I dislocated the fingers, like the tendons had ripped out and balled up at one end. In my mind, that's how I imagined the mechanism of injury. If so, then I would need hand surgery, and homey was screwed. But the good self diagnosing (witch) doctor I am (and self-medicating as well!:doah:) I iced for 24 hours, wrapped it tight for twenty four more, and gobbled down advils like m&m's. If the swelling didn't go down, then I was going in. The swelling was all but gone by next morning. Yep, I'm going with a good bruising injury.:thumbsup:

My investigations into my smoking Raptor (actually I WANT a Smokin' Raptor, if you know what I mean) took me to Bob's 4cycle forum, and short of a ring job it is possible I overfilled the oil by two oz.:doah:

Wow! You wanna talk about culture change? Go there. Sheeeeeit! There is some hard mugs over there boy. Here yer just a noob. There you're a knob. OldMiniBikes is Happyland by comparison. Dang it hurts to be ignant, but over there it would really hurt. No I mean REALLY HURT. We're just having fun here, over there they're racing to the death. They'll saw your junk off for any extra edge:eek:hmy: let alone you overfilled the oil! WTF???

Anyway, I got my answer and got the hell outta there. Intact.

Just a shout out to Havasu Dave for all his advice, coaching and encouragement.:clap::clap: I would NOT be doing this without him. The only cost? A promise. Like the ol' Devil himself, Dave took me to the mountain top, showed me the kingdom of the world and all its wonder spread beneath. He said all this was mine....as long I never put a clone in that Taco!
It only took three phone calls of me bitching to convince the Klone King that a 1968 Taco 99 is no place for a 99 dollar Chinese engine. :hammer:

I have to admit, knowing full well where the combustion stroke was, I still managed to torque my pull start hand every once in awhile with that engine. Once you get the Raptor purring, it'll be a happier bike. Nice job on the paint.

And remember John, if you ever need engine advice, call me for what not to do! :thumbsup:

OHHHHH!! Now it all makes sense! Couldnt figure out why the bikes were up for sale all the sudden! Especially the Taco! Good to know your on the mend JB!! :drinkup: