My tricky TAV

I know this bs has caused me lots of trouble and money but I have found my problem to my TAV system. It was not something that normally should never happen... I have had all kinds of trouble with my TAV on my go kart eating belts. I had everything rust free and in perfect condition and still my kart kept eating through belts. After asking some questions and floating around ideas to alternatives ( MAJOR FAIL) I was about ready to give up on the TAV. I just bought an entire new driver but I went outside to lubricate It but as I was taking the driver apart I noticed something. The little hub piece in the center was stuck. I had to take a small bolt and put it on the hub and pound it through. I lubricated it and tested it again but it was way too tight. On my other driver it was a tight fit but when lubed it would roughly slide through. I was extremely Angry so i took a file and decided to file down the hole where the little hub slides through. When I bought the unit the hole for the hub was too small, so the engagement was screwed up and it ate through belts. I filed until the hub slid through freely:grind:, I installed back on my go kart and it worked fine. At this point I wanted to slam my neck in the door repeatedly for not noticing that it should slide through freely. It had to be my luck that I received two driver units that the hub holes were too small on. After I fixed my issue I tested it and my belt is a slightly worn belt but it works just fine.:scooter: I want to apologize for debates with people on this subject but I cant believe that two of my driver units both had the same problem the first one was a comet but the second was one off of ebay. If anyone reads this and gets a new TAV please check everything to avoid problems and a bunch of money spent on nothing.:thumbsup:

Yup glad you posted, will be ordering one over the next few days and will be on the lookout for the issue you mentioned. Thanks!

lol i hate to say i told ya so...

no i dont i love being right. i told you so. fix the tav you have. now you did and saved yourself a lot of headache trying to come up with an alternative to a design thats been around longer than you LOL

HOWEVER, dont be afraid to keep coming up with alternative ideas and better ways to do things or improve currents systems. almost everything i work on, i find some sort of poor design or implementation that could use fixing or reengineering.

lucky for me, i have a machine shop, plasma cutter, and welder, so i can more easily do such things!

glad you got it working!!
:thumbsup:

I'm surprised that from the factory the hole for the hub to slide through was not machined to the right size for it to flow freely. Do you guys know of anyone else who had this problem?

was it a true comet tav? i know china machining accuracy isnt the best, but i have heard of those who have had to use a rat tail file and sandpaper to make sure the sleeve slid freely. i believe some graphite lubricant is allowed on that part to help as well?

when working with anythings especially used, if you dont disassemble and check it yourself, you will you usually spend more timing fixing things you could have prevented.

case in point. steering neck bearings. cant tell you how many chinese bikes ive pull the triples apart to find bone dry bearings. not a hint of grease. a small slather of axle grease now keeps water and dirt out from corroding the bearings, and lets the steering neck turn nice and smooth without crunches clacking or slop.

if you arent sure, take it apart and put it back together. sometimes you wont even be able to tell what you fixed, just the disassembly and reassembly does the trick. did an Xbox controller that way one day. tested bad, took apart, no visible problems, reassemble and works perfect. go figure!

My new driver unit is a chinese one, I could see how it happened but my first driver unit was a legit comet and though it still had the problem it wasn't nearly as bad. My first one the hub would slide through but slowly. The first one surprised me but after I filed it down for the hub to slide freely it works fine too. On the upside if one breaks I have a replacement and another for extra parts.