Need Help Identifying Tecumseh Motor

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site but have been around mini bikes a little. I have what I was told was a Ruttman short frame that my father gave me, I picked up a motor last night and was told it was a 8hp Tecumseh motor. It came with no blower shroud, no pull start, no carb, no intake runner, no governor linkage and the governor gear removed (but I got the gear, will put back in). I'm having a really hard time finding out if this motor really is an 8hp motor before I order all the parts for it. It's a great engine though, put a bolt in the spark plug cap (had a buddy hold it LOL) and pulled it, has spark and has a lot of compression. I have some pictures here of it but I don't think it'll help too much. The guy still has the original carb for it but I told him I didn't need it because I was going to buy a new one, if the carb helps determine what motor I can grab it no problem. Otherwise I'm lost. Thank you to anyone who can help!

The original carb might help, if you can read the numbers on it. That would narrow it down to a few models & types.

Other than that, measure the bore & stroke. You can figure out displacement & model from that. :thumbsup:

It looks like the exhaust is on the left so it's a H50/60/70. Measure the bore to determine which. H70 would be 7hp.

Last edited:
Oh ok I didn't know that was a clue to that. I have an HS50 and an HS40 I was just stumped because the governor linkage was sticking out the back of the case horizontally this one sticks out vertically by the cylinder. Ok Ill pull the head off when I get back home might see about getting that factory carb. Are the cheap chinese replica carbs on ebay ok? I know it's kinda hard to get a carb rebuild for techumseh carbs anyway correct?

I'd say the chinese carbs are a crapshoot. I've had good luck but others have horror stories.

I'm pretty sure Tecumseh rebuild kits are staill available for about the same price as a chinese carb. :thumbsup:

Man that thing needs a LOT of parts. I'd say your best bet would be to find a more complete H50/60/70 with a busted rod or something cheap to rob all the needed parts from.

Well there's people parting them out on eBay too. The shrouds are like $30 with the pull starter and I have a couple can style threaded exhausts. Just need to narrow the model down to get the shroud and all will be well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Well you need a shroud off a H50 or H60 or H70. They are all the same.

You are still going to be missing all the governor linkage, intake manifold, rest of the engine tins, etc. It's gonna add up quick. That's why I thought you needed a whole parts engine for probably less than $30. :thumbsup:

Oh ok, only problem with that is I live in Metro Detroit and there's two shops down the street from my house, only one sells used stuff and I don't trust them. Don't know about buying a parts engine online.

Oh ok, only problem with that is I live in Metro Detroit and there's two shops down the street from my house, only one sells used stuff and I don't trust them. Don't know about buying a parts engine online.

Craigslist? Junkyard?

Ariens snowblower parts

There's all the parts you need and more in one shot. $20. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok so I measured the bore and stroke it's a 15 Cu.In. motor I dont know how Tecumseh engines correspond the displace to their horsepower ratings. I got a 2.75 inch bore and 2.55 inch stroke

I'll just buy the parts seperately, the extra cost is no big issue, just don't need more junk around my garage, lol

I'll just buy the parts seperately, the extra cost is no big issue, just don't need more junk around my garage, lol

If you want to pay ebay prices for individual parts, drop me a line. I'll happily sell you what you need. :thumbsup:

Ok, what do you have for me? So the H70 is a 7hp then, correct? Also when I was going to use that HS50 I know for parts they give you the whole serial number for it, so if I need a Tecumseh part for it am I screwed?

Last edited:
Kenny was on target.
you can nab a whole motor cheap <

strip the motor off the Snowblower and curb the rest of it for the local scrapman.
plus,if you shop around you might even find a snowblower with a Headlight onnit,
which means theres a lighted coil too !:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok, what do you have for me? So the H70 is a 7hp then, correct? Also when I was going to use that HS50 I know for parts they give you the whole serial number for it, so if I need a Tecumseh part for it am I screwed?

No, not screwed. You shouldn't need a model/ serial number you can use any H50, H60, or H70 for the parts you need. Externally they are identical. :thumbsup:

edit: yes, the H70 was rated at 7hp.

Kenny was on target.
you can nab a whole motor cheap <

strip the motor off the Snowblower and curb the rest of it for the local scrapman.
plus,if you shop around you might even find a snowblower with a Headlight onnit,
which means theres a lighted coil too !:thumbsup:
Or offer the guy $30 to let you just take the engine. :shrug: He might be willing to push the rest to the curb for an extra $10?