Need Help Modifying Clone

Just purchased a 6.5 from HF and i added an AGK 2 stage straight header. Everything else is stock. I was thinking about getting a 22mm Mikuni carb and a UNI air filter. I also think i will need 18lb Springs and a billet rod and flywheel. I have a few questions:

Do I need an adapter to put the mikuni on a clone? If so, which one?

Do i really need the 22mm mikuni or will the stock carb perform just as well?

Which billet rod and flywheel do i get?

Do I need a Fuel pump?

If i use the stock carb, which jetting should i use and should i get a GX140 E-Tube?

Im trying to do this without spending a ton of money so if I can use the stock carb and rejet would it be fine?

If anyone can tell me their setup that works best that would be great. I am new to this engine modifying so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

yes you need an intake manifold to bolt it onto the clone. affordablegokarts: Carburetor Adaptor With Pulse Fitting
You can use the stock carb and do just fine with these mild adjustments. Get a 90 or 92 jet for the stock carb.
ARC Billet rod - go to www.arcracing.com and do a search in their search box for 6270, that's the 3.303 stock lenght rod you need. They only sell one billet flywheel for the clone, unless you want one with adjustable timing. The regular $100 flywheel - do a search for 6619.

You don't need a fuel pump or the Emulsion tube.

With the exact components I stated above (I personally use a 92 jet) I push about 9 HP on a blue HF clone.

And yes, do buy the 18lb springs for sure if you are removing governor, which I assume you are if you are going billet.

Did you use your stock carb with a 92 jet or did you go with the mikuni carb? Yes i am removing the govenor.

So i should order these components?:
Billet rod and flywheel
18lb Springs
92 jet
Uni filter and adapter

stock carb yes, with a 92 jet. I also advanced the timing by 8 degrees. you can do that with or without a key. they keys are only about 7 or 8 dollars. I have an adapter I can sell you for 5 dollars plus shipping, if it helps save you any money. it comes with the choke hold and screw to mount the hold to the adapter. It's brand new. Looking at AGK's website, it looks like they want $29 for the adapter w/ filter. Filter only is $16.00. Get the 2 7/16" filter. I believe that is the one that fits the clone carb adapter I have.

Last edited:

maddcarson

Buy the billet rod and flywheel and springs first. the air filter would help the engine flow better. if your going to run the stock carb then yes, get the 92 jet

Ok has anyone tried adding a GX 140 Emulsion tube to this setup? Also they have a flywheel with or without adjustable timing. If it isn't adjustable then can I just get the 8 degree key and it will be fine?

From what I understand, the 140 e tube helps with low end power and I hear that they work well. That is correct on the flywheel key . You can just get a 4 deg or 8 deg key.

yes you can get the non-adjustable timing flywheel and still use a key. I just went through an ordeal though with shearing my timing key. I went keyless after I did minor grinding to deburr, and it works like a charm.

Which would you recommend? 4 or 8 degree key? Is there any other little changes I should do to the engine? Like a GX 160 head and flat top piston or anything like that? Do you think I would notice a power increase with that?

Ok has anyone tried adding a GX 140 Emulsion tube to this setup? Also they have a flywheel with or without adjustable timing. If it isn't adjustable then can I just get the 8 degree key and it will be fine?
It's a popular performance upgrade along with the jetting and filter. You are sucking more air with the open air filter and other mods. so, you need less emulsifying action from the tube. The 140 tube or soldered stock tube reduces the air being mixed and you get richer. there are a number of ways to make the stock carb work better. Check out ARC tech for some good info on stock carbs.

jprice

OldMiniBikes.com
look on the top of the page you will see minibike parts ,
OMBwharehouse.com
he can hook you up with a billet flywheel ,billet rod,open air filter!
and lots of other stuff you will need !
Cheap Fast shipping!
billet flywheel (must Have) and 8 degree offset key
billet rod and bearing (must have if you want the motor to hold up)
open air filter,and adaptor,and choke hold down,with gasket..
the stock carb with a 140 E-tube and a 35 jet works decent!
18 pound springs..
nice little set up without killing the wallet,

i have a box stock carb that is bored (6.15) and it set up for alky which works perfect for a mild engine!
40 bucks plus shipping ,comes with everything you will need to put it on execpt air filter.
only a couple of months old, the carb alone sells out of arc for 50 bucks,
i am going with a bigger set up, its the only reason i am selling it! idles perfect,top end is perfect! i do have to have the 140 E tube i would include with it, if you wana go back to gas, you would just need to rejet it,

You said your on a budget... what is the budget limit? I'm currently in the process of my first mod and have already replaced most of my engine except for the valve-train and cam.

As far as modifying stock carb vs mikuni/tilly carb... i went with a Mikuni. I got that carb on the engine along with a hi flow header and got a good increase in power.