Need help mounting Comet 4 inch band brake

Does anyone know the distance from the axle centre to the fixed mounting hole? Also, about the cable goes into a pin fixing on the further end which is pulled: Is there anything I could use/make to do the job of the little pin with the grub screw, without having to buy one? I am in the UK you see, postage from U.S is ALOT!! It would be easy with a lathe, but I have not got one.

Any chance you can post some photos of what you're working with?

you need an alternative to this thing, correct?

http://OldMiniBikes.com/images/P/az2254.jpg

you could always make something, even if it's the thread part of a long bolt with the same diameter that will slide into the end of the brake and then just drill out a hole where the hole needs to go, then go to an auto parts store and look for "cable stops", and attach it to the piece of your brake cable that sticks out, snug it up to the brake and tighten.

My local autozone carries these cable stops, you might find them at an auto parts store in the UK?

Last edited:
Right, yeah, should have put pictures on. Heres the brake on the bike now. I need to drill a hole in the frame and then run a 4.5"x3/8" bolt through it to attach the band. I just need the hole to be just at the right place in relation to the axle otherwise it will either rub or never touch the drum.

Mac

I usually stick the band on and just eyeball where I drill the 3/8" hole.

Just as long as the anchoring bolt is in the right end,
so it pulls against the bolt and not the cable.

(.......Anyone heard about gbones and his planned trip to California in Sept. ?)

....You asked "Is there anything I could use/make to do the job of the little pin with the grub screw, without having to buy one?"

.........Yes, Ask someone to send you one at no cost. That should work(Unless you address the request to george3).

Last edited: