Need help setting idle speed

Trying to get my sons' go kart up and running. I don't have much experience with these karts, so bear with me. With help from the kart section on this forum, I was able to replace the clutch assembly. But now the issue is that the engine just won't settle down to a good idle. It's revving hard at all times. I can't get it to slow down. I'm not letting my kids ride it so that I don't burn up the new clutch...and for their safety of course.

I have the air cleaner assembly off and took these pictures. I've figured out what controls the idle speed (at least I think...) but can't figure out how to adjust it. Here are a few pictures. In this picture, the small metal rod in the middle with the black plastic on one end and the "c" shaped metal on the other moves. If I rotate it so that the screw sticking out of the metal "c" rotates counterclokewise, the idle settles down.

This picture is the far end of the assembly (if I follow the black plastic piece and the connections). The backwards "C" is where this connects. When I move the rod on top to slow the idle, this "C" moved down slightly.

How do I adjust this so the idle stays slow? Thanks for any help!

Yep. Looks like it is screwed in too far. That keeps the idle high as it is the idle adjustment.
He is showing the engine static, and it is sitting at full throttle.

It looks like static spring tension on the govenor setup is holding the throttle wide open.

I just did a Briggs 5HP air compressor that had this setup, but it's supposed to run wide open. Then air pressure builds and is sufficient to move a rod that lowers idle via spring tension on the govenor.

Note that rusty rod with lock nut in first photo. That compressor motor had that too, and that was connected to a spring and air actuator that changed spring pressure on the govenor. (sheesh sounds complicated, but it's not)