need help with heathkit hilltopper

just found this bike in an old barn i need help it is missing part of the pully on the motor crankshaft would really like to have pic of one with the side cover off or what i need it seems to be all original

what kind of motor is in it? i'm also a bit confused as to what part you're talking about. is it a belt drive, have something like a TAV on it or does it run a clutch going to the rear sprocket or jack shaft setup?

i attached a pic of a TAV so you'd know what it is in case you've never seen one. if it's all original i doubt it will be one of the Comet TAV's, but it could be a similar setup.

take a pic of what you're talking about. it would give us a much better idea of what you need.

edit: here's a pic of my old Tec 4hp. are you talking about the clutch like GTO asked?

i will try to get pic the best way i can explain is on the shaft there is only half of a pulley there then it runs to another pulley that has a spring on it that spreads apart that pulley is on a rod that runs to the other side and it has a sproket on it that runs to the rear sprocket

Looks like part of the torque convertor is missing. Shouldn't be hard to fix if you can get the parts.:smile: There are people on here that know much more about this than me.:smile:

you have a torque converter and are missing part of the driven unit. i really don't know shit about them so hopefully someone that does will see this.

worst case is that you'll have to spend $160 for a new one.

I feel a little stupid and still a little confused so the front pulley is a torque converter and i take it as you go the rear pulley opens up along with the front torque con to make it go faster

You need the "driver", the "driven" is the rear one. You need to figure what belt you need also.
i was wrong with the driven thing. like i said, i don't know shit about these (and learned something new tonight). the driver/driven thing makes sense now.

thanks and the pic of your DB30 is bad ass
it looks way cooler than it is. it's got a wicked mid-range vibration right now. it's either the crank (putting my money on that, have a good GX160 one to try in it) or flywheel (from ARC, doubt that's it) and i'll be swapping parts soon to figure it out. the carb also isn't tuned quite right which isn't helping either (i'm 99.8% sure that has nothing to do with it).

it still hauls ass but will knock your fillings out (which is why it's parked for now, that vibration isn't good for it).

it pulls on my friend's 110cc/4sp DB like crazy after 25mph. i have to fully let off the throttle to not run into the back of him. the low end on my 5.5 sucks.

it sucks spending a bunch building a motor and then having problems. everything is within spec on it too. the only stock clone parts left are the case, crank and head. i'll figure it out but at least i get to learn from it.

i almost have more fun trying to build stuff than i do actually riding it. :laugh:

Last edited:
i had the same type deal on my go kart. i dont know a whole bunch about it but mine is a comet torque converter 20 series. the comets are really good. heres a pic of mine. that was before i rebuit it. the second pic is it rebuilt.

nice bike. have fun riding it:scooter::scooter:

gto is correct.
the driver is attached to your motor.
bmi is a good source for parts. there are several other suppliers of comet parts.
check out ebay too.

make sure that when you replace various parts on your comet torque converter,.. to check all shaft sizes,.. series,.. diam. of driven if replacing same and size and type of belt (20 or 30 series etc).

the parts suppliers will help you when you order.

cool bike.
good luck.