Need saxonette help

I am trying to get my saxonette engine for fire up and I can't figure out what the problem is. I have great spark, I have fuel, I have set the timing about 30 times (using the saxonette manual) trying to figure out what is wrong but still it will not fire. What am I not thinking of?

The engine has new points, condenser, rings, freshly honed cylinder, spark plug, wires.

I am pulling my hair out!

MikeBear

That engine is 2-stroke REED VALVE right? Maybe your reed valve is bad/broken. The floats in the carb also go bad, and can cause issues. Unscrew the top to the float, and see if it's able to move up and down.

Last edited:
That engine is 2-stroke REED VALVE right? Maybe your reed valve is bad/broken. The floats in the carb also go bad, and can cause issues. Unscrew the top to the float, and see if it's able to move up and down.
I will check the reed valve. Already checked the carb, everything there is fine.

I know the word we usually use if "frustrated" but I can't come up with a word to describe how I feel about this. I am about to take a hammer to the thing and move on with my life.

MikeBear

I know the word we usually use if "frustrated" but I can't come up with a word to describe how I feel about this. I am about to take a hammer to the thing and move on with my life.
You have the gas mixed 25:1, right? It MUST be that rich with oil! The biggest issues are with the carbs on these, the floats go bad. I have seen clone carbs on Ebay that are exact replacements, so you might try that.

Saxonette Automatic 50cc Fichtel Sachs Engine Coleman Arctic Cat Mini Bike *246 | eBay

New carb for old bing 12mm CMG 1/12/239 carburetor SACHS 50CC M50 scooter carby | eBay

Last edited:
You have the gas mixed 25:1, right? It MUST be that rich with oil! The biggest issues are with the carbs on these, the floats go bad. I have seen clone carbs on Ebay that are exact replacements, so you might try that.

Saxonette Automatic 50cc Fichtel Sachs Engine Coleman Arctic Cat Mini Bike *246 | eBay

New carb for old bing 12mm CMG 1/12/239 carburetor SACHS 50CC M50 scooter carby | eBay
The carb is new and I checked it. I am getting fuel. The gas is mixed correctly too. It just doesn't make sense.

MikeBear

The carb is new and I checked it. I am getting fuel. The gas is mixed correctly too. It just doesn't make sense.
It's just got to be the timing then. Spark or not, if it's not at the right time, it's not going to run. Do you have a friend that can look at it? Sometimes you stare at things and just can't see the issue, but another person can.

Have you took the spark plug out of the head, attached the wire, laid the plug on the head and seen spark? The spark needs to be between the 2 electrodes. By holding plug/wire about a 1/2 from the engine is should throw a nice blue spark that far. Any doubt, stick another plug in it. 2 strokes are snivelly as hell about plugs. How old is the gas? Over 6 weeks and it can begin to degrade. did you replace crank seals? an air leak around the crank will cause grief too. Could it be flooded? Is the plug wet? If not, drop about a teaspoon of fuel down the plug hole, install plug and see if it fires. While plug is out, stick finger over the hole and crank engine, it should blow your finger off. Make sure the plug wire is not near finger when doing this, as neighbor kids may learn new words. Hold your hand over the back of carb while cranking, is it sucking or blowing? If not sucking it could be reed valves. Could you have installed piston backwards? It's been done before. On some reed valves if not sealing, you can turn them over and they may work. Is the gasket on the correct side of the reeds?

It's just got to be the timing then. Spark or not, if it's not at the right time, it's not going to run. Do you have a friend that can look at it? Sometimes you stare at things and just can't see the issue, but another person can.
Not familiar with this motor, could the spark be 180 off? firing on the bottom of the stroke? Remove plug, stick something down the hole that wont scratch,, wood dowel works , use ohm meter to tell when points break, should be just before top dead.

His spark and timing are good, or darn close. Wet fouled plug. 99% chance it's flooding.

Properly adjusted with a well functioning carb, cold Saxonettes should start on one or two pulls after a 3-4 count prime and no throttle. If it sputters, prime for another 2-3 count and try again, no throttle. Works every time. Should start right up with no prime if warm.

It's important to use clear fuel line on Saxonette engines to see the air bubble that should maintain itself in the upper half of the line. No bubble means the float is stuck open or not sealing. Push the primer and the fuel level moves down, then the level eventually recovers but that air pocket at the top must remain visible. Be careful not to accidentally put the float in upside down. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited: