New Taco 100B

Oldsalt

Why Earles type forks? Why didn't they reproduce the old Frijole "kit" which included only the frame [no damned swing arm], forks [solid - no springs], wheels [pressed steel] that came less engine, clutch and chain. Then they would have something that would sell. These guys confuse me-----really. What the heck were they thinking to put a Honda OHV engine in the machine when rather nice Briggs OHV engines [if you just GOTTA use a OHV to start with] are available! I guess the design and the marketing folks are haveing fun and this abortion is what they think will sell. But I get the idea that the two departments didn't talk to anyone except each other. The expectation that they can get folks to shake loose $2,000 for one is constructed of the same material that dreams are made of.

Why Earles type forks? Why didn't they reproduce the old Frijole "kit" which included only the frame [no damned swing arm], forks [solid - no springs], wheels [pressed steel] that came less engine, clutch and chain. Then they would have something that would sell. These guys confuse me-----really. What the heck were they thinking to put a Honda OHV engine in the machine when rather nice Briggs OHV engines [if you just GOTTA use a OHV to start with] are available! I guess the design and the marketing folks are haveing fun and this abortion is what they think will sell. But I get the idea that the two departments didn't talk to anyone except each other. The expectation that they can get folks to shake loose $2,000 for one is constructed of the same material that dreams are made of.
Well said

Rocco

MiniBike Paul

Oldsalt said, "Why Earles type forks?"

That front end is a copy of the Trail Tamer front end from the day!

Tommyprops and I had a discussion about this a year ago when I considered buying that battered 100 with a Trail Tamer that was for sale in the SF area. He said that while it was an aftermarket accessory item, Steen put them on some bikes.

Seems to me that if you are trying to get $2000 (nobody has confirmed that price!) you better have some really trick stuff!!

DMR

I would feel good buying the frame for anything under 400. Just imagine what it would costs to manufacture the roller (after overhead), cant be over 100 bucks.:shrug:

Oldsalt

I would feel good buying the frame for anything under 400. Just imagine what it would costs to manufacture the roller (after overhead), cant be over 100 bucks.:shrug:
A couple of years ago I called them to see if in fact I could get a Frijole frame and forks. No swing arm, no spring forks as with the 'kit' Frijole in the mid 60s. Got a price for a 'simular' Taco frame [was not able to truely understand what exactly] and at that point decided to keep looking for an original roller because we had ceased to talk about what I wanted and was being directed to what the person on the other end thought was cool. Still have not found one. But look at it this way: Rear wheel $100. Front wheel $100. Forks $100. Frame $100. That is the $400 you mentioned. From that it seems entirely rational to believe that five hundred would surely provide a 'kit' Frijole roller. No paint, no kick stand, no throttle and cable, no engine, no clutch, no chain.

But look at it this way: Rear wheel $100. Front wheel $100. Forks $100. Frame $100. That is the $400 you mentioned. From that it seems entirely rational to believe that five hundred would surely provide a 'kit' Frijole roller. No paint, no kick stand, no throttle and cable, no engine, no clutch, no chain.
Azusa proves the $500 minibike kit can be done...why can't TACO do it?

The TACO 22 isn't that different from an Azusa, manufacturally speaking...

i think they would have done better just offering a roller with all the parts like the clutch cover rims tires seat and tank, you add your own motor. I understand they are selling a complete bike, but a honda on a american bike? Its funny i just found out why my 2002 Chevey tracker runs great , it has a nissan motor in it from the factory!

cxbra

I was about to say "I hate the new-school design" until I realized a Taco 100 40 years ago looked just like this haha. Pretty cool, but I think i've gotta find some way to save up for the Taco 22 roller..

Hounddog

We had heard this was coming. When we all take a good look here and look at the quality and engineering that is in this bike by yesterdays standards and todays standards, we should all be very impressed with what is being offered! Look at the frame, headset, forks, swingarm, frame, etc. etc. There is not a better "minibike" that I know of that we can buy today that even comes close to this! I think it looks badass and cannot wait to throw a leg over one of these. My congratulations to Joe @ Tacominibikes.com for stepping up, pushing the envelope, and keeping the "Minibike" craze alive! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oldsalt

Of course the Taco 100B is not the first nor [hopefully] the last re-pop of a vintage mini. But to say it is the supreme example and everything else pales in comparison is, in my opinion, is highly debateable. The attached pic shows Yesterday's Rides Metalworks, Inc. offering of a really high quality re-pop. Of course it is impossible to get new cast iron Briggs or Clinton kick start engines. But at LEAST a Briggs flathead was supplied rather than a hopelessly wrong Honda or clone. The wonderous quality and engineering of the new Taco 100B has been invoked. Well, that pressed steel front fender in the pic is seriously more difficult to produce than any part on the 100B. The pressed steel 'footboard' took more time to produce tooling for than any tooling for the Taco. The resto Doodle Bug even carries Coker Jumbo Jr. tires. The nameplates, two, [not just a couple of decals] are reproduced. Metal badges and serial plates can't be produced at Staples. The 100B is the best thing since sliced bread? Not by a mile.

It still a cool bike! If i had the money, One would be in my garage with the Honda motor in it, It's a new bike, no claim being made it's a original Taco. There nothing being sold today that could touch this as far a new retro style minibike. I think the price should be a little lower, I think they sell more of them,Also offer it as a roller. But there in business to make money! not work for free!. Who know what there actual cost is for making the bikes, considering the low volume of sales. I wonder how many will be made for total production of them.

My son showed me the 100B being discussed on this forum so I thought I should clear up whatever questions or misunderstandings there are about the 100B. For starters this has been in development for over a year. As most of you have come to know Dave Miller has partnered with me Joe Rivello/TACO on many projects over the past 5 years. The end result has seen a very steep rise in what others are getting for their TACO's. The 44 that sold on EBay a couple weeks ago for $2080 (unrestored) I feel is due partially to what TACO has done over the last 5 years. My personal goal was to resurrect TACO and to supply parts for others to restore their otherwise dead minibike. More importantly to supply a high quality part. The reason I partner with Dave is his experience, reputation and the incredibly high standards he sets for himself. He is expensive, but worth every penny.
The 100B was offered for sale in a special Pre Production offering last week. TACO offered 25 in that email blast. Price $1995. This included the Honda GX200 motor. The first 25 were gone (reserved) within 8 hours. This includes sales to Australia and Canada. Needless to say I was pleased with the results.
While the 100B can be enjoyed by guys our age our real market is the younger kids of today. Look at OldMiniBikes, everyone is sharing the great memories of their youth having to do with their minibike experience. We want to provide the same opportunity for the kids of today. We wanted to create a minibike that had Old School Kool but using todays technology and equiptment. I feel we have hit the mark. While some will hate what we have done, others will love it. That's what make this country so great.

Joe Rivello
Taco Mini Bikes

Hounddog

Taco 100B

Well said Joe,

I for one am very pleased with the new 100B. You have obviously done your homework and made a high quality product for us all to enjoy. This is exactly what the minibike industry needs to keep the interest alive for all. The new 100B is the best minibike on the market today, bar none.

I got into minibikes again a few years ago when my son needed a school project. We spoke to the teacher and she allowed my son to build a minibike from a kit. It was a great learning experience for my son, and allowed us to spend time together. This past weekend his newer taco 22 would not start. So he took another motor I had in the garage, put it in the Taco and was riding it around the block that afternoon. What great fun he was having, and what great lessons he has learned.

Thanks Joe for giving us something new and great, supporting the minibike industry, and thanks for giving opportunities for all the kids to come! :thumbsup:

Bryon