Newbie from MD. w/Western Auto Trail Flite SS400

Been member of various car, truck, motorcycle forums for years, but just picked up another project.

Literally found it in a garage, where it had been for over 30 years. Got it from original owner! It's very complete and in real nice shape (not even a tear in the seat). I need to find a few odds and ends for the old Tecumseh (like pull cord "pawl" and that nylon/plastic thing that the pawl is attached to), but I'm really looking forward to getting it back in running condition. Last mini bike I owned was a 1972 Montgomery Wards, with a 4hp Tecumseh. Blew it up and had to stretch the frame to fit a Honda 5hp on it. Would power wheelie. :)

The plan with this one is to simply clean it up, and leave it as-is (aside from some chrome polishing, maybe), and not repaint, or restore anything...I think it'll be much cooler in "as ridden" original condition, but I could be wrong. :shrug:

Very nice, that is clean enough to leave as is ,in my opinion :thumbsup: thats a keeper, nice score :smile:
Thanks a lot. It looks a lot better already, but is partially disassembled so no pics of it as it sits right now. Those pics were actually taken as soon as I got it home, untouched, almost a week ago. I've since steamed off the dust and grime, and aired up the tires. Someone had the rear hubs bolted onto the wheel on the wrong side, so you couldn't put air in it.

bandit 40

Thanks a lot. It looks a lot better already, but is partially disassembled so no pics of it as it sits right now. Those pics were actually taken as soon as I got it home, untouched, almost a week ago. I've since steamed off the dust and grime, and aired up the tires. Someone had the rear hubs bolted onto the wheel on the wrong side, so you couldn't put air in it.
Easy enough fix , you dont see very many of those in that great of shape ,if your into those types of MTD. That is a very clean bike :thumbsup:

Been member of various car, truck, motorcycle forums for years, but just picked up another project.

Literally found it in a garage, where it had been for over 30 years. Got it from original owner! It's very complete and in real nice shape (not even a tear in the seat). I need to find a few odds and ends for the old Tecumseh (like pull cord "pawl" and that nylon/plastic thing that the pawl is attached to), but I'm really looking forward to getting it back in running condition. Last mini bike I owned was a 1972 Montgomery Wards, with a 4hp Tecumseh. Blew it up and had to stretch the frame to fit a Honda 5hp on it. Would power wheelie. :)

The plan with this one is to simply clean it up, and leave it as-is (aside from some chrome polishing, maybe), and not repaint, or restore anything...I think it'll be much cooler in "as ridden" original condition, but I could be wrong. :shrug:

Is this Bob from Click Click Racing? I'm a member over there too. Very cool find. Goodluck with it.

Hi lesley here just picked up 400SS today in about the same shape but also missing the torg guard on left side and pull cover not sure of year but still cool