Newbie needing advice

Hello oldminibikes forum. I was excited that I found this site and I am sure you can help a newbie out. I bought a doodlebug DB30 a few weeks ago for my kids. The thing looked just too much fun to leave it alone so I had to ride it a little bit. I guess my big 200 pound butt wore out the clutch. It now surges forward stalling the motor. I assume I need a new one.

My question is should I put the stock replacement on or is there a better upgrade i could get instead? If so, which one? I want a straight bolt on replacemnt with no mods required. Nothing too expensive. The complete clutch, shoes and all would be great. A link would also be awesome. Thanks all

Hello oldminibikes forum. I was excited that I found this site and I am sure you can help a newbie out. I bought a doodlebug DB30 a few weeks ago for my kids. The thing looked just too much fun to leave it alone so I had to ride it a little bit. I guess my big 200 pound butt wore out the clutch. It now surges forward stalling the motor. I assume I need a new one.

My question is should I put the stock replacement on or is there a better upgrade i could get instead? If so, which one? I want a straight bolt on replacemnt with no mods required. Nothing too expensive. The complete clutch, shoes and all would be great. A link would also be awesome. Thanks all
Why stop with a new clutch ...slam a clone and new clutch on the DB ...Here's a link to all the parts ( clutch) ya need Clutches, Torque Converters, Belts BMI Karts and Supplies - Home

Welcome to the site! While BMI is a great place to get the things you will need, cjtmini a member here sells a comprehensive swap kit that is just that! Everything you will need as well as dvd instructions that will help you install the kit no problem! I reccomend it highly! At 200# you will wear that little engine out, and while there is a jackshaft kit that helps them the engines are junk! Get a 6.5 and the kit and you will not want for power!

So the specs on the clutch would be 5/8" bore, 11 Teeth, and #35 chain?
Yes if you want to throw money away that is the correct clutch, or I will sell you two good used ones for the same price and you can burn them up and not feel so bad! Dont buy a clutch! Save the $ and do the swap! I'll be glad to sell you the two but again @ 200#s you will burn them up or kill the little engine! Unless you stay off it! I'll take $30 for both stock DB clutches + shipping! Although at some mower shops they sell them, for $40 or so you can get a new one without shipping charges!

Last edited:
You may also be able to clean your clutch out on the inside.... Quite often they will get debris and burnt up oil and stuff on the inside surface of the clutch that causes a sticky film to be burnt to the clutch drum.. You might be able to just blast the inside area of the clutch clean with brake parts cleaner and it will be fixed.. :shrug: I restored a 69 Rupp Goat that a guy threw away because he thought it needed a 35 dollar clutch.. Turns out the bike needed nothing and still works fine to this day. :thumbsup:

Restorer Kid is right. If the clutch is grabbing and lurching, it probably just needs a good cleaning and lube. It is something all clutches need on a regular basis. Good luck!

im in agreement with supernova -- if you get a new clutch - you'll just wear it out too. Get a 6.5hp horz. mount motor for like 150$ from Harbor frieght or northern tool, bolt it on with the new 3/4" clutch and get going quick past 35mph. i have 2 db30's with this setup and they rock ass!!:scooter::scooter:

You may also be able to clean your clutch out on the inside.... Quite often they will get debris and burnt up oil and stuff on the inside surface of the clutch that causes a sticky film to be burnt to the clutch drum.. You might be able to just blast the inside area of the clutch clean with brake parts cleaner and it will be fixed.. :shrug: I restored a 69 Rupp Goat that a guy threw away because he thought it needed a 35 dollar clutch.. Turns out the bike needed nothing and still works fine to this day. :thumbsup:
I tried this and so far so good. It didn't seem too gummed up after the cleaning it worked fine. I am considering the 6.5 upgrade but dont have the cash right now. If I do have to replace anything I looked at the 6.5 ar HF. Looks likes it wuld be and easy fix. thx for all the advice.