Non choke carb on briggs flathead???

Hi , guys.
I have a briggs flathead( not raptor) I am building.
The motor came with the carb that has pull out choke.
I have access to carb without choke. Reason for wanting
to use it is already has race linkage, better pick up tubes , etc.
My question is can I use it? Is the a way to make a choke off
motor? Thanks in advance, Florida4x4s

What CARB and FUEL TANK are you using? Are they the ones that bolt together? (Better yet, post some photos) If so, I've got a "choking" trick for you!:thumbsup:
Michael

KB2ROCKET

one thing you can do is put a sandwich bag over the air filter when cold starting .
I have done this in the past for engines with no choke

O.K., you have the Briggs "Pulsa- Jet" carb that bolts directly on top of the fuel tank. You have a couple of options as to choking for cold starts (we have tried BOTH)...
1. Replace you existing fuel tank cap with a "Push-N-Start" gas cap (Google it) that has a small bellows (primer bulb) built on top of the cap. You press down on the primer (usually one good push does it) and the air pressure forces fuel out of the tank and into the carb. They actually work pretty good, HOWEVER...
In our experiences the "after market" (cheap China made) ones all leak badly, right out of the package. The "original" ( more expensive USA made) ones we tried did not initially leak, however they eventually did after a few weeks. You will probably spend about $ 15.00-20.00 for one of these.
2. Cut a short length (about 12") of 1/4" fuel hose. Place one end centered over the vent hole in the stock Briggs gas cap, press down firmly, and give a good blow on the other end (one puff will generally do it). After a few times you will learn how hard a blow it takes. We have used this method exclusively since the last "Push-N-Start"started to leak, on my sons Briggs "Raptor" engine. These engines never came with conventional choke assemblies, and I learned this method from an old Briggs Raptor Kart racer.
Michael