Non-Hemi head on Hemi block differences? want2mod it.

hi again,
i just took off a head to a 196 Champion motor and noticed it is a non hemi head and i would like to use it if it fits.
First question i'd like to ask before tearing apart the hemi: Will the non hemi fit the hemi block? i

i would like to install it and so i can buy the 1.3 ratio rockers which are a ton cheaper than the hemi ratio rockers.
A person on a forum has a +.020 piston and milled his hemi head to 18cc and has .080 left over with a .275 camshaft installed.(measured with clay and micrometer) So since HIS set up works i assume i will be okay with my .290 cam ,stock head, and standard length piston and 1.3 ratio rockers with a total lift of .377 (super beast of an engine @ 104LSA)

i wil definitely need to check P2V clearance with clay if it works.

What y'all think?

so seeing his setup has an extra .020" from the connecting rod and milled 18cc head (.040" ? ) that should give me an extra .060 of space to take up?

1.3 ratio on a .290 would add me an extra .087 lift
add so i should BARELY have enough clearance for this to work out. about .013 clearance? i'm not sure. anyone know?
i will post videos of the process and before and after. idle sounds and rev sounds and whatever is requested.

i wanted torque and this seems like i will definitely get it!

Last edited:

trinik7597

you will have enough clearance .. and yes the champion head bolts up . but personally i would just run a bigger cam with the champion rockers and forget the stamped 1.3's but thats just me . also you want to check and see how far in the hole you are +20 rod usually will get you closer to zero deck . the valve angle on the hemi head causes clearance isues you wont have with the 22cc .. you could actually mill 65 and still be fine

EDIT: i did some research and they are the old style rockers. The "X" looking ones. Why?
and they are easily removed if that matters any.

Is this a 14cc head?

Last edited:
Never seen a 196 Champion with a 14cc head stock... 208cc Champion has a 19cc head...
The older rockers are tough and can take abuse...
Either a dyno 356 cam with champion rockers or a custom cam from Isky is a nice build saving money from buying billet rockers...
I would not run stamped 1.3 rockers with that much lift unless it is very low rpm...
To control the valves and lift with say 7500-8000rpm I would want at least 37lbs springs... And 37lbs springs and stamped rockers is a time bomb...

Last edited:
Never seen a 196 Champion with a 14cc head stock... 208cc Champion has a 19cc head...
The older rockers are tough and can take abuse...
Either a dyno 356 cam with champion rockers or a custom cam from Isky is a nice build saving money from buying billet rockers...
I would not run stamped 1.3 rockers with that much lift unless it is very low rpm...
To control the valves and lift with say 7500-8000rpm I would want at least 37lbs springs... And 37lbs springs and stamped rockers is a time bomb...
i dont know what cc the head its self is. i just know this motor is from a 196cc generator and it appeared to have less than the hemi.
So it sounds like .290 lift with 1.3 would be fine.
As much as i would love to have a .356 cam it would be time consuming to sell my current one and buy another so i will just swap heads and buy stamped rockers.
i know that was a big read in my original post so i will say again.. i have a .290 cam with 104LSA. with 1.3 rockers is .377. Good?

like prowler just said before big lift big springs ... stamped rockers no good !!!!! run your 290 with the chapion rockers or buy roller ratio rocker or a bigger cam

The spring rate needed to control that cam/valve train at the capable rpms is too much for a stamped rocker.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

The spring rate needed to control that cam/valve train at the capable rpms is too much for a stamped rocker.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
Ok. MUCH better. Thanks guys.

now onto a new thread for a new question about a different important topic.

You are not being annoying ... we don't mind to help you out .. I actually have some pics of what dial springs will do to a stamped rocker !! See if I can find them

You are not being annoying ... we don't mind to help you out .. I actually have some pics of what dial springs will do to a stamped rocker !! See if I can find them
i'm interested in seeing that. Just so i don't attempt doing the stamped rockers anyways. How long did they last?

this is from a motor i repaired for someone ... i have no idea how long it took for this to happen but it could have been much worse

your champions will hold up to heavier springs and a big cam ...

or you could get some roller / ratio rockers .. but its really more about the combination of parts you put in the motor than just lift