noobie needs help getting my bike running

Hey guys, i stopped by my high school to see my old auto shop teacher and he had a bike sitting in the shop, he gave it to me for 10 bucks and told me something along the lines of "someone gave it to us, and i think he said all it needed was a new spark plug"

before going out and buying a new one, i took the spark plug out, grounded it against the block and pulled the pullstart to see if i could get a spark out of it, no spark. so then i put in a working spark plug from my lawn mower and tried the same thing, still no spark. im thinking it actually needs a new ignition coil but i wanted to ask you guys first for other things i could try first.

its 4 in the morning right now so i wont bother, but ill take pics and post them tomorrow. thanks in advance for any advice

PS. if you guys could tell me specifically what you need to see in pics to help me out that would be great, otherwise im just gonna take a pic of the bike and the motor from a couple angles

PPS. FIRST POST!

1stlegendtx

Next step is to check for spark:

•Make sure that the ignition switch is "on", that all attachments are disengaged and that the transmission is in neutral. Most machines have safety mechanisms that will not allow them to start otherwise. Consult your owner's manual for the starting procedure for your machine.

•Next- check for spark by removing the spark plug and grounding the "hex" part of the spark plug to a bare metal part of the engine. Remove any spilled gasoline that is nearby, then spin the engine by pulling the rope or turning the key. You should see a blue spark jump across the plug gap. If you have a good hot spark, skip to the carb section.

Here is the link.Lawn Mower and Small Engine Repair

•If the spark is yellow and weak, or there is no spark then the first thing to do is try a new spark plug. Do not try to clean the old one. Set the new plug gap to the proper spec (usually 0.030") and check for spark again. If you do see a spark, install the new plug and try to start the machine. If you still have no spark next try cleaning and setting the points on older machines, or replacing the electronic ignition module on newer machines. Before replacing the old module test it by disconnecting all the wires from the module terminal that connect to the kill switches and recheck for spark, if you see a spark a wire or switch is defective. Also check the flywheel key. That affects the spark timing, usually the key will need replacing if you strike something while mowing and the engine stops. We can provide the parts for your ignition repair
:wink: