Novice with a Tote Goat

I recently picked up a Tote Goat locally and I believe that's it's all original. I believe that it's a model 600 but I'm not certain. It does have a Briggs and Stratton 6 HP motor. See the attached picture.

The bike sat for 5-7 years with old gas in the tank, carb, etc. I cleaned out the tank, which was a nightmare but I believe that's it's now clean and ready to go. I also cleaned out the carb and I've been able to ride it around but it sputter and revs at different times.

These are my problems; I can't find a schematic on how the machine's cables and springs should be set up. For example, there is a spring that is smashed between the carb and the engine. It also appears as though the brake and clutch cables have been messed with over the years and could use some attention but I'm not certain how they should be positioned along the frame. I also believe that this model had a light kit but the wire, for what I believe is for the lights, is cut off near the handle bars. I can also tell that something should be covering the choke switch on the carb and I don't see a engine shut off switch. The shut off could be as simple as the metal bar on the right side that grounds out the spark plug. I really don't know. I can also see where a wire connects to the top of the motor because it has a slot for a wire with a screw to tighten it down.

Any help that you can provide would sure be appreciated. Pictures or schematics would be very helpful so that I know that all the wires, lines, and cables are in place.

Attachments

Nice Tote Gote. You have a model 665, a step up from the 600. The 665 had a rear suspension with shocks. The wire coming from the motor was for a kill switch. Any lights on these old gotes were from a separate battery powered kit. The throttles were always rigged because they wouldn't reach full speed with the governor intact. These make good riders and perform very well as a off road cruisers.

Nice Tote Gote. You have a model 665, a step up from the 600. The 665 had a rear suspension with shocks. The wire coming from the motor was for a kill switch. Any lights on these old gotes were from a separate battery powered kit. The throttles were always rigged because they wouldn't reach full speed with the governor intact. These make good riders and perform very well as a off road cruisers.
Thanks for the pictures and documentation. Do you happen to have any pictures with the seats removed? I'll look for a kill switch similar to the ones in the pictures. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Do you need pictures to help repair your throttle? Both of the pictured gotes have had the throttle modified. The type of governor (or lack of governor) would determine how you would set up the throttle. The mechanical gov or the pneumatic (air vane) have different set-ups. Post some pics of what you need to repair.

Last edited: