OEM DB30 axle sprocket removal

JoshM

Is there a trick to this? All 6 bolts are so tight that the allen wrench is stripping the heads (only stripped one head, the other 5 are on the verge). Yes, i have the correct size wrench.

The nuts holding the brake caliper were just fine removing. It's just the sprocket side.

HELP!!! :shrug:

edit: already tried soaking them in pb blaster.

Last edited:
A trick I use is to cut of a staight section of the proper size allen key or a allen key socket if you have one , then put it in the head of the bolt and give it a couple of good hits with a hammer , it makes them break free easier .

Nuts or allen bolts?

The stock allen bolts are soft metal and strip easy. I got lucky with mine and they all came out, but if yours are stuck, grab the outside of the head with a pair of channel locks/ vice grips and get new bolts.

JoshM

Allen bolts. I was hoping to reuse them. But, if destroying them is the only way to get them out, destroyed they'll be.

JoshM

Well, I found my issue. The bolts were put on with loctite. Ugh. Idiot(s).

Heads ground (grinded?) off. Bolts drilled out. P.I.T.A.

Link is for sprocket to sprocket holder I believe. If they are 1/4" then they are for sprocket to sprocket holder.

The allen bolts for the hub do not use nuts. The bolts you will need to get are 6mm x 1.0 thread and about 20mm long. I bought grade 8 ones.

Would have been better to take a torch and heat up the bolts to loosen the loctite....

You will learn to like loctite. With the amount our bikes vibrate, loctite is almost a requirement.

I had the same issue on a couple of mine that were left out in the weather before I bought them. I soaked mine in diesel oil a couple of days (don't know what pb blaster is?). Then used heat gun on them. Came out pretty easy after that, but diesel oil fumes are bad, so have some ventilation to keep the fumes away.

I reuse the OEM bolts unless damaged. The steel hubs are probably cheap steel too, so with good bolts you may just strip out the hub thread holes. Personally, I don't like torex or allen head, unless have clearance issues, then they are great. On a couple of my DB30's the sprocket and brake rotor bolts are close to the frame. I replace with hex head bolts since they stick up less and give a little more clearance.