Ok so its not really a "Minibike" - My new Honda XL70

Used to have one as a kid, it didn't look near this nice but my neighbor and I rode the crap out of it for years. When we were kids I sold my friend a mountain bike for $10, he took the bike to church and traded another kid a XL70 for the mountain bike. He brought the XL70 home and we eventually got it running again (we learned a lot about working on bikes from that 70). It was his bike for several years (I was riding a CT90 at the time) and eventually I bought it from him. I continued to ride it and eventually sold it to get something bigger.

Fast forward 20 years or so.....I just picked this one up, its a 74 (first year for the XL70 and the same year/color that my old one was). It was advertised as being never ridden but it's obvious that it has been used. It's still in excellent cond for a 74 though. Can't wait to cruise around town on it once in a while and bring it to some shows, just hearing it run sure brings back some memories

I'll try and post up some pics of my old one as well. Anyone else have a Honda SL70 or XL70 in their stable?

Hodakaguy

Trying it on for size...A little smaller than I remember it 20 years ago :wink:

pomfish

I have a 73 SL70 in the Red color.
I am the 3rd owner, 3350 miles, she is a very nice survivor but not restored.
Pics can bee seen in View My Photos
Nice looking XL !
Thanks,
Keith

Here's my wife's '71 Sl70 and a short story.
Back in the spring of '71...her Dad bought her a brand new one. A few years later it was sold. In 2005 she told me she'd like to have one again. It had to be a Blue '71...not just any SL70. It didn't need to be perfect..just decent and ridable. So I started to keep my eyes open for one that we could afford. In 2007 this one came up for sale on the local CL, so we went and bought it. She rides it around our place once in a while. It gets ridden the most by our 14 year old daughter.

thats a real nice one!!! I love hondas and am restoring a 71 like the blue one above. i would put some air in those tires though! Looks real good!

1stlegendtx

I have 3 SL-70's in various states and 1 XL-70.
I took my Motorcycle licence test on this one. It was like cheating but perfectly legal.:wink:

I love the Honda XL70,And most all other Hondas, My buddy had 74 orange XL70 when we were kids in the 70's and I learned to ride it back then, I always wanted one, This spring I found a clean one for the right price. It had to be a 74 orange one.

Pic of my sl70 I picked up last fall , I hope to redo it this winter , I have a 125 china Engine to install in it ,, I do have the side covers and headlight

tomsprops

Hey Hodakaguy Welcome ! Looks like your avitar is gonna make strigoi a little jealous !I l'm a 70's honda guy too . I have a cherry MR50 and a street leagle 71 Z50 and a Santee 750 chopper the Real deal from 1973 !

Hey Hodakaguy Welcome ! Looks like your avitar is gonna make strigoi a little jealous !I l'm a 70's honda guy too . I have a cherry MR50 and a street leagle 71 Z50 and a Santee 750 chopper the Real deal from 1973 !
Thanks, Yeah I love early 70's Honda's. Not sure about the avatar comment? I found it on the net a few years back, thought it was hilarious and I've been using it since.

I'd love to see some pics of your Honda's. I'm just starting to build up my collection again, I used to have 22 small honda 70's and 50's, years ago....sold them all way to cheap looking back. Oh well....

Hodakaguy

The Honda bikes from the 70's are great. I think that there was better styling on bikes back then. Now a days the bikes that are being made all look the same. Street bikes all look like Harley's or crotch rockets and dirt bike all look the same except for the color plastic on them.
Half my collection of bikes are Honda's from that time period. I always had Honda's over the years, I got started into the small bikes that Honda made that I wanted as a kid in 2003. I got into the Rupps five years ago and they have been piling up in my garage also along with a few other American made minis from that era.

Found the picture of my old XL70. This is my friend Chuck, he owned it before I bought it from him. Just a little rougher than my new one :smile: Even had Preston Petty fenders.

Hodakaguy

I have a blue SL70. It has a C70 motor in it. I found a stock 4 speed that some day I will put in it. Right now my daughters ride it around and I have not taught them how to ride a clutch yet. My friend had the same year bike when we were kids and I rode it all around.

Also, picture is an XL70 I had. I just sold it about two months ago to my neighbor.

Here is a couple of videos. The first one is my youngest daughter first ride on it. The second, is my midde daughter riding it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4Lqzxj6-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skl6NW9sMEw

Last edited: