Old Briggs & Stratton

This came on my Cyclops. The guy said it was a 3.5hp.

Anyone know any thing more about it? the carb/float looks different than what I'm used to seeing?

oldfatguy

if that is the original cover,it is a 1960 or older.When you check the numbers,the first two numbers where it says code are the year it was made.It looks like an engine from a Toro Power Handle machine,they were a dark red color.It's probably a 3 hp Those engines run great with the old up draft carb.The one thing that I saw in your pictures is you are missing the metal plug on the carb by the choke,just epoxie a something to seal it.Even if you don't use it on a bike keep it complete as it has some collector value as it is . you even have the original oil bath air cleaner.

Numbers from Engine

Here is what is stamped on the engine cover

MODEL: 8B

TYPE: 905147

SERIAL#: 580117

Hope this info can help me decipher the engine.

I'm not sure it is a 3.5hp after doing a quick internet search? looks more like a 2.75hp?

oldfatguy

Check your cylinder on that engine,there is a good chance that it has a steel sleeve in the cylinder.Just use a magnetic pick up tool in the spark plug hole,touch the edge of the cylinder and see if the magnet sticks to the steel. the engine is most likely a three horse power. You should take the carb apart and clean it,be sure to clean all the passages by poking a wire thru them.These are very well made engines compared to the newer ones.