Old Style Doodlebug trike build

jays0n

So the woman requested a mini bike of her own but wants it to be a dirt capable trike, apparently she has quite a bit of faith in my abilities :thumbsup: I rounded up another bike and have only done the strip down so far. Well, that and I've spent waaayyyy too much money ordering all the parts I'll need, things should start arriving next week then I'll get started on the frame.

The plan is as follows:

6" stretch (behind engine plate to keep weight forward)
welded adjustable jack shaft
all unnecessary frame tabs removed
short wheelie bar will be added if necessary
live axle rear end, split sprocket and brake disc hubs mounted on axle
rear fenders hung over rear tires
front fender lowered
steel rims for the rear to match stock front
off road tires
spun aluminum tank under seat between frame rails, filler near grab bar
new seat cover from LXMBOUTIQUE
new style Predator engine
header, filter, crankcase breather, muffler, jet kit, mount plate
whatever else comes to mind along the way

Last edited:

jays0n

I wish! I had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago so I'm still on the mend, not quite ready to be cutting, welding and grinding. All the parts should be arriving next week, as well as the powder coated frame/wheels for the other one I'm working on, probably finish that one up before I get started on this.

jays0n

Got most of the engine done, stock fuel tank, exhaust and air filter removed, carb re-jetted, low oil sensor wires clipped, crank case breather and high flow filter installed and got the engine shroud/recoil painted with 500° paint. Still have to rewire the kill switch and install the throttle linkage but close to done with the engine. Really happy with the color, pretty close match to the castings, makes the whole thing look smaller.

Just a quick update, got the kill switch and throttle linkage all set up. Also got the new seat cover installed. Hoping to get started on the frame stretch this weekend but we'll see how the weather looks as I usually do all my cutting/welding outside. I've been riding the DB30 I just finished and really having a good time, can't wait to get moving with this project!

No dice last weekend and looks like this one is out too. Leaving for our honeymoon this week and picking up a new pup the day we get back. We have two dogs but my wife lost hers last year and really wanted another small dog so here he is, Walter the French bulldog :) once we get back I'm hoping to hit it hard while she takes care of him :)

Thanks, we picked him up on Sunday and what a handful! I have two older Rhodesian Ridgebacks and they were so much easier as puppies, this little guy can't do anything for himself yet, he's about the size of a small rabbit! The older dogs aren't impressed either. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to the build in the next couple weeks, little guy is taking all of my time!

Well the long weekend gave me a few hours to get some things done so here it is. I got all the frame tabs I don't need removed (axle mounts, fender mounts, tensioner mount, etc) and got the stretch done, the seat mounts moved and the fuel tank mounts built and welded on. We now have a roller!!!!

Well, no going back now right?

Frame cut and prepped for plug welding in the 5" extensions.

Internal extensions prepped and ready to go, they were a perfect fit.

The internal tubes are tacked in via the plugs.

7/8" OD tubing slid over the internal plugs.

Seat mounts moved and new mounts for fuel tank all sorted out.

Fuel tank was a perfect fit with the seat.

The filler ended up exactly where I wanted it.

Live axle bearing mounts welded in place and axle mounted for mock up purposes.

The bearing blocks can be placed inboard or outboard of the mounts, they are currently loose to allow for adjustment.

Next is to remove the old rear fender mount and replace it with a cross brace below, then the jackshaft mounts are next.

It's going to work out just as I have planned, love it when a plan comes together!!!

Tossed the engine in to see how it looks, can't wait to get it moving!

rmm727

Looks real nice. Just got another doodle that I should do this to.

Edit: How wide an axle did you put in there?

Last edited:
Looks good. Are you going to cut off that rear fender bar and relocate it now? I just think that it might look a little odd. Keep up with the good work.