Peerless axle question

I have a project I am working on that will be useing a peerless axle , that I bought from Gumpit a few years back

My question is , do I need to support it with 4 bearings ( 2 per side ) or is the differential strong enough to only use 2 bearing mounted spaced out close to the wheel hubs?

This project is just in the early planning stages , but may become a build off entry

I have look at a bunch of trike pitcures but its not real clear lol

wjustice

I would definitely use 2 on each side. One inboard, one out. I don't think the diffs can take the stress.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rob, I would say it all depends on how wide this thing is going to be :shrug: Some T555 use three and some use four :eek:ut: My baby bird trike had three but my tractor only uses two :shrug:
Tractor 2

Baby Bird 3

T555 4

Thanks guys , I kind off thought it would need the extra support

I am using twin disk brakes so will mount a bearing on either side of disks

Guess I will be picking up two more bearings and hangers lol

Last edited:
Well I remember going through this issue with our one and only KKK, when he built the Cat Trike and only two bearings were used. A lot depends on leverage applied by the wheels against the clamping force of the bearings flangettes. I would never use less than 3 but suggest that 4 is better
Most of the time.
Steve on the side line

Thanks Steve , with the application I plan it will need the extra support

In my build thread , Harleys Papa stressed the importance of using the proper lube after cleaning , is there a generic grease\lube I can use
I am not being cheap lol , just hate to order and ship a product I can source localy

How fast do you plan on going? The only time those gears are really going to move is when turning. If this is for your stand up segway trike. I would think/hope you won't be going that fast. With brakes on the front you may want a "reverse type wheelie bar" in the front to prevent nose diving. If you use regular grease I would think it would be ok if you add a zerk fitting to the housing. More bearing hangers can't hurt.

wjustice

Proper lube is bentonite. About $22 for 32oz. Can be had from any decent mower parts house.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk