Picked up a Raptor

MIGZ

Well at least I think I did so any help would be great.

I don't have a way of turing it over so I have no clue if it runs because so far Im not turning it fast enough by hand to see if it even has spark. Any tips ??

I took the head off to get a peak inside doesn't looks to bad.

what do the experts he think?

What did the engine come off of? If it was a (racing) kart it is possible that the carb has been converted to burn alcohol. If that IS the case, and you want to burn gasoline (assumed) you will need a new carb. While the cylinder bore may not display any significant scoring, which is a good thing, that alone will not tell you if the cylinder is excessively worn, tapered, or out-of-round. That can only be determined by taking precise measurements and comparing them to Briggs specs.
Michael

Fisher1983

If theres no governor hole under the gas tank its a Raptor block. But the gas tank, carb, and the 555 part number on the piston say Raptor. Any Briggs 555xxx part is a Raptor part. Pull the side cover...a true Raptor has a dual bearing crankshaft. Also the connecting rod will have a fatter beam and the dipper will be cast into the cap. Looks nice regardless!

Fisher1983

The carbon isnt that bad so I would use SeaFoam after you have it running. Follow the instructions carefully. If you want to remove carbon off the head and valves while its apart, use a solvent like mineral spirits or again, SeaFoam, and a brass bristle brush. Lay it valves facing down, piston at top dead center, and keep the shmutz out of the bore Dont go nuts by the valve seats though! Nice score....If i could find a nice Raptor Id pee myself LOL

Last edited:
May want to check for offset key for flywheel if indeed was used for alcohol. You can also just change out the main jet with a stock one and if they didn't go crazy on orifice size behind jet you should be good to go.

MIGZ

I'm going to clean it up a but more, get a new blower cover and pull start and hope I can get it running on gas. Once that happens Ill have to figure out what i do with it