Picked up an old Tri-Sport today, needs TLC

Saw this posted today for $250, OBO, said it didn't need anything but a chain link removed, I offered $175, we settled on $200. Needs quite a bit more, but it is drive-able as is.

Upon a quick search, someone told me what it actually was, and that they came originally with 220 CC snowmobile type engines. Mine has a Briggs go cart type engine, but its pretty old. I'm good at simple work with little engines, but when it comes to troubleshooting, i'm not the best.

It starts semi-easily, two pulls seems to get her going. But, instead of having "get up and go" type power, it gradually accelerates, and doesn't want to get to a higher RPM once i'm going.

It needs a lot cosmetically, but that's easy for me. I'm gonna go with a murdered out look, all flat black. Thinking about doing something stupid with the exhaust, like a small "tractor style" stack with a flapper, and some bigger monkey bar handles, but that's all in good time.

I only have a couple bad pictures right now, tomorrow when the sun comes out, I can get some better ones of the engine, and would really appreciate some help figuring out what engine this is. It WANTS to run and go, but somethings making it run like poo, and the chain is way too loose which isnt helping.

That probably came with a 4 stroke. They never came with a 220cc Some of the RTS models had 290cc and 340cc 2 strokes and some of those were street legal. You have a TS series. Part of your problem is that you should have a torque converter on it instead of the clutch. Then you will get more torque and speed.

Axx3d

Where would I get one? Would it be somewhat of a direct bolt on replacement or would it require some fab work?
40 series would probably work with the hp and allow room for more hp in the future.

Comet 40 Series Torque Converters | Comet 44 Series Clutches

Looks like the jack shaft could be reused if that sprocket isnt welded on and its the correct size to mount on the driven side and the driver pulley on the pto of the 8hp.. line everything up.
This is all based on seeing one pict of the current drive setup.

This engine is just pissing me off.

I think I may be in over my head on this whole thing.

Had a buddy come over who knows a bit more about stuff like this than I do, seems like this thing is just rigged to hell and back.

The front end when driving, is very awkward, its almost as if its "dog tailing" when youre driving straight (Like the whole thing is driving sideways), the front tire is a riding lawnmower tire/rim, way too big.

The chain system in back seems to have a serious issue, which I dont know how to address or describe, but when driving, its like something is slamming cutting the power to the wheels, and then going again. Ill have to get my action cam out and mount it and see if I cant get a video of what im talking about.

And this engine just does NOT want to run, it idles too high, which makes the clutch constantly try to grab, so the thing sounds like youre beating it with a hammer when its idling.

Now it doesnt want to idle at all, unless the choke is on, hot or cold. Half of the adjustment screws are just impossible to get to without taking half the engine off, BUT you cant do that, because the muffler is in the way, and seized in the engine.

I may just really clean the thing up cosmetically, and resell it as-is, unless I find a cheap engine online.

Aside from horizontal shaft, is there anything special I should look for? What kind of power could I get from like a 6.5HP engine? Those seems to be a dime a dozen, about $40 on craigslist around me. Im not looking to do 60 with this thing, but I would like it to have some low end torque to spin around and have fun in the snow this winter if I keep it, but would still like it todo like 40 or so.

This is the black one before it had truck bedliner put on the body. It has a 6.5hp motor and a 30 series torque converter. It is all the power you need. At 350 pounds it carried me anywhere and I beat the snot out of it on the hills and parade route at the Windber mini bike get together. Ask anyone who has seen it. HENT NOW OWNS THIS TRIKE!!!
Randy doing some wheelies on the Alsport trike with 6.5hp Harbor Freight clone RBTRIKE - YouTube
Wow!! that video is wow!
umm yeah the CloneMan has Spoken...Clone it!! :bowdown:
lol