Picked up JCPenney Digger

Pretty much intact except brake cable, carb and breather. Lil rough chrome but fiberglass with no cracks or splits. Prolly have new seat made. Good compression. Haven't checked for spark yet.

markus

sweet, you were able to pick it up!!! Those are interesting bikes :thumbsup: Seen people paint the press spoke wheels in the past, look alot more acceptable painted than true spoke wheels do. Looks like its a 71-73 judging by the engine.

straight bars, relocate footpegs to the swingarm pivot, install some shorter bottoms on the sebac shocks, relocate the spring cup onthe front forks a little lower to drome the bike a little front/rear, some cool street tires..........make a neat cafe bike out of it!

congratulations

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas Markus. I did look and it has really good spark and compression. It looks like it may be missing both fenders. Has a 4 hp tec. Gas tank needs good soaking with evaporust. I'm gonna leave it with all the rust and patina, just gonna give it a good cleaning.

Yes I'm missing a small triangle portion of chain guard and the last part of the exhaust. HD, do you have the exhaust?
No, I need an exhaust like that for my HS40 Cat project. I've been looking for quite awhile for one that extends to the left of the bike.

You need that Tecumseh Taylor end piece. (100, 200 or 300) You can find them on the end of other exhausts that you won't want to pay for. $$$ They are available though.

Did you try the muratic yet?

I did on the sissy bar for my trail horse ex rider chopper. Worked really well. Probably need it rechromed, but I'm gonna leave it as it. Way better than before.

No, I have that piece. I'm talking about the piece that goes from that piece to the engine. The trick is that the pipe in your photo sits outside the frame. Most exhausts made by Tecumseh and Taylor exit somewhere within the frame.

Of course one could always take that end piece and rotate it so it connected within the bike frame and have it sticking out like a sore thumb, but I like lean and tucked in. :thumbsup:

Do you have a pic of the end piece that I need?
Hard to find just the end piece, so you generally need to find an old Taylor 100 or 200 and swap the ends. Note the two sheet metal screws. I just did a rough measurement and it seems they're the same diameter.

HD, can I soak the rims in the muriatic acid?
Quick answer, "yes." I removed the rubber, and the spokes and soaked two 10" rims. Once I copper brushed them, it was obvious I needed to rechrome them, and they're at the shop now.

Or, you can go ahead and soak them, clean them, polish, wipe with acetone, spray on some clear, or aluminum. It'll look like shit IMO, but it's cheap, and will look better than rust.