Polaris acquires Indian

Polaris Acquires Indian® Motorcycle
Polaris brings world-class engineering, manufacturing and distribution to Indian’s rich American heritage and historic brand

MINNEAPOLIS (April 19, 2011) — Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) today announced the acquisition of Indian Motorcycle. The business was acquired from Indian Motorcycle Limited (“IML”), a company advised by Stellican Limited and Novator Partners LLP, U.K. Private Equity firms. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“We are excited to be part of the revitalization of a quintessentially American brand,” said Scott Wine, CEO of Polaris Industries Inc. “Indian built America’s first motorcycle. With our technology and vision, we are confident we will deliver the classic Indian motorcycle, enhanced by the quality and performance for which Polaris and Victory are known.”

With this acquisition, Polaris adds one of motorcycling’s legendary brands to its strong stable of Victory cruiser and touring bikes. Indian will operate as an autonomous business unit, building upon the potent combination of Polaris’ engineering acumen and innovative technology with Indian’s premium brand, iconic design and rich American heritage.

“We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Polaris. Polaris will utilize its well-known strengths in engineering, manufacturing, and distribution to complete the mission we undertook upon re-launching the brand in 2006: harness the enormous potential of the Indian brand,” said Stephen Julius, chairman of Indian and managing director of Stellican. “Polaris is the most logical owner of Indian Motorcycle. Indian’s heritage brand will allow Polaris to aggressively compete across an expanded spectrum of the motorcycle market.”

Novator Partners LLP is a London based alternative investment firm founded and led by the investor Mr. Thor Bjorgolfsson. An avid motorcycle enthusiast, Mr. Bjorgolfsson said “After a troubled past, our goal was to bring the legendary Indian bikes back on the roads. The initial phase of that project is done and now our great partners at Polaris will carry on the work to realize the full potential of this classic American brand.”

Episode number ??? Same old words, new people with new money, saying the same old thing over and over.
The day of the full fender Chief is gone forever and never will be revived.
Steve :scooter:

vette66_00

Why is it always sound like company's are doing a smoke and mirrors act when they talk.
I would much rather hear a company say the truth,
"we bought this brand for the name, we will try and rebuild a bike to acquire a bit of the already full market, so be prepared to pay more than the bike is worth for the name alone. With a little luck we may actually accomplish not destroying this old American names legacy. And even more luck we may actually make a bike you can ride and will not be in the shop 90% of its life."

I might consider one then. LOL

Dont get me wrong I like the company Polaris and think they build a nice group of bikes, but Presidents and the sort always make it sound so slimeball.

Last edited:
Indian uprising

Why is it always sound like company's are doing a smoke and mirrors act when they talk.
I would much rather hear a company say the truth,
"we bought this brand for the name, we will try and rebuild a bike to acquire a bit of the already full market, so be prepared to pay more than the bike is worth for the name alone. With a little luck we may actually accomplish not destroying this old American names legacy. And even more luck we may actually make a bike you can ride and will not be in the shop 90% of its life."

I might consider one then. LOL
You hit the nail on the head first try. If they would try something all together different like a Street Trike, and something different than the big V twin take some of the Polaris technology in the automatic drive systems and make a good commuter bike with usable power and mileage. The new Spider Trikes seem to be gaining ground with a wider customer base then the heavy road bike.
Steve :scooter:

Sold? Again" Ooh, that's a surprise. Lessee, the last version was just another collection of aftermarket parts w/too high a price tag and no after-sale support. I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for anything different. You really want something different? How 'bout connecting Polaris w/Eric Buell to make an Indian-branded 1190RS? Now that would be something different. And it would be a strong poke at HD that they deserve after boinking Buell up the heiny the way they did.

Oldsalt

Damn! I'm surprised that so many people on the site realized the long and foolish history of the never ending "Resurrect the Indian" saga. I'll bet this Polaris attempt will be no different than the others.

I am wondering who would buy one even if it WAS a "worthy" retro that could at least be semi-recognizable as an Indian Chief? Occasionally I ride my 41 Harley Knuckle to a Harley type meet or run or whatever. The folks that attend these things would, I'm thinking, be the obvious potential purchasers. However, what I mostly see is a pack of want-a-bees that have never heard of, let alone seen, an Indian and knew what they were looking at. And they couldn't care less. Hell, almost none know what a Shovelhead is. The bulk of the new riders are only up on what are the coolest looking leather vest and matching his and her tats. I don't see a market for a retro that few would recognize. If there was such a market HD would be building 48 Panheads.

I just had a horrid thought an I can't get it out of my mind! Can you imagine a 48 Chief with a "King and Queen" seat, skull tail light, a GPS, and two heated cup holders?

Last edited: