polaris minibike?

I think they've been in business since the 1890s. It's hard to tell what all they built. Most people never heard of them til the 4 wheelers came out. Snowmobiles was their big thing before that.

oldsledz

The company that became Polaris started in 1944 Hetteen Hoist and Derrick, they made a lot of things over the years, farm equipment was the main thin until the 1960s when snowmobiles became big. They did make a bike in the 60s more like a Tote Goat than a Mini bike. There is a good book called Breaking trail about Edgar Hetteen one of the guys that started Polaris and after he sold his part of polaris he started Arctic Cat and a few other business.

tomsprops

Hey Montra your ad didn't post ?
I've seen something about these mini's b/4 . It could have been the same bike smallbikes is talking about ? It looks like a more modern minibike and well designed ? Probally a great rider !:thumbsup:

I just saw this mini bike and the story behind it.

...and searched for a relative thread to share this SUPER RAd MaChiNe!

"POLARIS X60...made for only 3 years...bordering 1985"

Polaris X60 Mini Bike

"For several years I have been competing in the National Mini Bike Championship races in Deweese, Nebraska. Every year I would craft up new killer bikes but always returned frustrated. However each of those years I would watch who won and on what. In the modified class it was a fellow on a Polaris. It wasn’t faster than others but it always won or placed high. I deduced it was the suspension-none of the others had it. I didn’t realize until much later the super secret is the torque sensing belt and jack shaft drive. I promised myself if I ever found one I’d snatch it up. It happened. I found this one in Wisconsin for $225. The Polaris X60 mini was only made for 3 years, I think, in the years bordering 1985. I don’t know why they stopped making them-they were advanced for the time and in the vintage classes today it is supreme. I didn’t keep much of the original bike just the frame, the dual drive system, the sprocket and the tank. The original tank is plastic, Clark I think. I covered the plastic with fiberglass so it would take paint without bubbling off. Since the rear had real shock suspension I matched it with 33mm forks I had under the bench. I used a pit bike rear disc brake which is hand operated. It’s Chinese and wonderfully cheap. Exhaust and tail section were scratch built. The engine is a Briggs Animal. The first time I rode it I was blown away. With the big engine, snowmobile style belt drive and the jack shaft drive it’s a torque monster and just rips. You can feel it shifting up as it speeds well past 50 mph. Now I’m ready for the 2011 Nebraska race."

Phil Little is the owner of Phil Little Racing.com, a Minnesota company that makes fiberglass street tracker conversion kits for Sportsters and other products for vintage motorcycles and snowmobiles."

Photos by Wayne Davis, world’s foremost vehicle sports photographer