Polaris Starter motor

Hi all,
I have a 2000 Polaris 325 magnum for the Mrs, all she says she wants for Christmas is to have it fixed (starter motor is bad). The local shop would charge about $400, looking online, I have found I can get a new starter for about $50, or a rebuild kit for under $20.

I have heard that these are hard to change, and require a special clutch removal tool. I have also heard that you can do it in about an hr without any special tools.

Anyone have ANY experience with these?

I believe it. Polaris can be a bitch. They are a little different. :laugh: Hell.. Go tear the sum bitch apart and see what else you can break. :shrug: It's already broke. Might as well see what you can see.. Usually special tools aren't that special. It isn't nuclear powered or anything. Turns out ya need a pair of needle nose pliers with a special grind to it or who knows.. :shrug:

banjo

You can make a clutch puller cheap and easy. find a rod with a smaller dia. than the clutct bolt , cut so it bottoms out in crank and comes about 1.5" ish to the top .,... then get a bolt that fits the Top thread.. tighten that bolt good ( hence pushing clutch off) You may need to give a firm rap (on bolt) should pop right off.. oh yeah be ready they sometimes jump off dont let it get away on ya. Dave:wink:

You can make a clutch puller cheap and easy. find a rod with a smaller dia. than the clutct bolt , cut so it bottoms out in crank and comes about 1.5" ish to the top .,... then get a bolt that fits the Top thread.. tighten that bolt good ( hence pushing clutch off) You may need to give a firm rap (on bolt) should pop right off.. oh yeah be ready they sometimes jump off dont let it get away on ya. Dave:wink:
Thanks Dave!:thumbsup: