powell challenger???

markus

heres some sun shots (well kinda sunny storms keep running through about every hour here right now)

As shown my powdercoater delivered the now corrected seat mount and sprocket side wheel half to me, The rear wheel came out a while lot better that it was so I may have him redo the front one too now. Thats one reason its not on the bike the other is I also won a nice set of double Indian head studded Carlisle's on ebay this weekend that I think I will like better than the trials tires I got, so before I get it all correctly bolted together I'm gonna wait on those to arrive and compare. I gotta work the stampings off the stainless bolts I bought and polish them all anyway still and get some washers I forgot to get.

I added some grip tape to the brake pedal and floorboards as well,

I also fixed up the original seat, It had chrome spray bomb overspray all over it from the custom paint job it had on it. so I scrubbed on it and got it all off. It also had a big indentation across the center of it from I guess something leaning against it for a long time in storage, and the threaded inserts were bad too. So I pulled all the staples, flipped the foam and added a little chunk in the indented part, flipped the original base over too and put in new inserts (that nail was in it and I think its put there to sort of hold the foam or something as it barely pokes out on the inside so I flipped that to) and restapled it back up.

Its an ugly seat but it is the original, Maybe if my budget opens up a little more I can have the Phantom style seat made up for it, but having it powdered took a big chunk of the budget for this bike!

markus

Well its officially a "roller". Now I can roll it right next to the other 4 rollers I am too lazy to finish :laugh:

Still have not found any Generals, I had bought a Manco thunderturd and robbed the cheng shits off it but I just was not diging them on this bike. I found a pair of lightly used Indian head Carlisles on ebay and got them for a good price so I went with those for now. Good Year made some in this size too which I like even better but it will cost me about $120 to get a set of them.....I would rather put that kind of money toward a nice set of Generals though so these Carlisle's will have to do for now.

Actually am starting on and engine as well, just ordered a fresh hone for doing 3.5's and I am going to start rebuilding my remaining 3.5hp engines and one for this bike will be a year correct 1971 in gloss black.

Looking very inspirational as always Markus! I hope you can find the Generals but I'm here to tell you that it hasn't been easy finding them. I managed to get one NOS for mine this year but have yet to find any others. I had been thinking about putting the Carlisles on mine also just because it's difficult to round up the Generals.

Can't wait to see yours with the engine on it!

markus

Thanks guys/gal

This weeks fiasco had do with me "butterfingers", and the throttle assy. What happens when you drop the plate that holds the throttle assy together......it shatters like glass :censure:

after some tears and whining I dried my eyes, picked up the pieces and tired to figure what the hell I was gonna do. I looked around for some scrap aluminum and didn't have anything in an appropriate size. I had checked both my well stocked local hardware store and even tractor supply when I was picking up some blasting media the other day neither had anything. I spotted some leftover cast pull start parts from a McCulloch I had. The yellow one had a curve to it but the later stickered one is very flat. I figured I'd test to see how it it cut on the yellow first so I cut out the insignia part and made myself a nice little badge out of it :thumbsup:

It cut fine with a cut off wheel so this morning I drilled the large hole first in the stickered one then traced out the remains of the original around it and rough cut it out, fitted it to the housing, and then smoothed it out to match the housing:

I shined it up a little, and tested it out. I can't get it to slip or fail, and its locking an quick releasing very well. but I am sure its a sloppier fit internally only because the original cast part had some slight built up sections inside. I am going to sort of copy them with a little JB weld...or at least try to help ensure there are no problems with it.

Looks good Markus. I'm starting to like these bikes. After seeing Mr. Wulfs at windber and yours now. I think I want one.
Rumor has it there was one for sale at Windber. :wink:

Very nice fabrication work as always Markus. It'll probably be a stronger part now anyway.

Last edited: