Powell in need of serious help

Well, here we go again. I drove 5 hours to the Albuquerque area to pick a Powell. The pictures posted on craigslist didn't really show all of the damage. Need a little advise as to continue with this project or set it to the side. HS50 motor was part of the deal as well. Talked him down to $100 for everything and brought it home. 1126-B stamped on the frame. The front wheel half is rusted out. Looks like they cut off the motor mount? Let me know what ya'll think. Please don't laugh at my pain. Ok maybe just a little.

Attachments

CarPlayLB

I think ya did great! You can part it and make money! Moving forward with it just depends on your skillset. It looks like you have most of the hard to find parts there!

T-Town Mini

I'd say go for it and do the restoration. You've already got the parts to make it a runner so you're ahead of the game in that respect. Yeah, it'll be a lot of work to fix the frame, etc. but, if you got the time and resources...:hammer:

I bought one for less $ than that but I also got less in the deal, too. Powell 1680-C is still sitting on the shelf and has been idle for the past two years lacking funds to build it.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/m...ll-bro-serial-list-post924616.html#post924616

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/100977-powell.html
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/101700-powell-forks.html

Last edited:
Question, I've been doing a lot of looking on the site. I noticed that the majority of the Powells have a rectangular seat and not the "tractor seat" like mine. My motor mount was also cut off. Should this have the pivot style mount?

Good eye OND. I just looked at the pics on my phone and it may be a stretch instead of a repair. Can you post the measurement from the back of the headtube to the seat wingnut? Can you also post a close up of the mounting plate area. Thanks in advance. Joe

The stretch comment was made by Bike Buddy. There were several frame differences after the B.

What has happened is that the lower neck on yours is bent back, (or upper neck bent forward) reducing the neck rake. (Angle) The frame on yours was then modified to meet the neck. One of the major differences between the B model and the rest, was that the neck was beefed up on later models. (Your bike's damage might be indicative of that rationale)

So what you "really" need to know, is the correct neck angle. This is done by leveling the bike, front to rear, then slapping a protractor on the forks. (Because you have a zero degree offset on these) Then you cut the top bar from yours, and bend the neck to whatever angle it is supposed to be, and then measure up for your top frame repair.

Based on the brochure photos, I would bet money that the neck rake is the same on the B as it is on the C, D, E, etc.

Dave

Thanks for the correction. No disrespect towards Bike Buddy, just looked at the screen wrong.

I believe that you and Bike Buddy might both be right. I looked at the lower tubes that run to the foot boards and I seem to have longer tubes than the picture OND posted.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Dave

Thanks for the correction. No disrespect towards Bike Buddy, just looked at the screen wrong.

I believe that you and Bike Buddy might both be right. I looked at the lower tubes that run to the foot boards and I seem to have longer tubes than the picture OND posted.
That's what I was looking at, The lower tubes and the upper section.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave and Cory....looks like some kind of a modification to the frame but not sure why. Either way I think this bike has some great potential ! I also agree that you have a very good start with this bike as you have some nice original parts with it. That driven pulley by it self is worth the $100.00 that you are wanting for the whole bike.
I would be glad to give you any kind of measurements that you need to get this bike back up and going....as I'm sure Dave would to.

Here's a pic of mine for reference.

Also I think T-town has giving you a great pic of his Powell in pieces ...I think this is the type of engine mount and shifter that your bike should use.

Last edited:
Oh, we're again posting pictures of our bikes in other people's threads? Just to "help" them, right? LOL. I have the coolest Powell ever built. Even has the Powell family say that on my video. :001_tt2:

In case anyone else needs any ideas on how to complete their Powells, here is mine again. The seat comes out as originally designed, engine is original, lots of chrome because it makes the bike faster.

And since we love show and tell more as old men than we did in the third grade, here is a video of some photos and me riding mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MexmGcI3Y

Here is another one I put together and sold to a member here as a roller.

Do you need any photos of my dog, or my parakeet? :doah:

Last edited: