Predator 196 cc engine problem

I recently bought a Baja Warrier mini bike used and it has a 196 cc Predator engine. The problem I am having is the engine will start up and run on half choke, but after proper warm up, when I take the choke off, it will die immediately. I have made several attempts at cleaning the carb and cleaning out the fuel tank, bought a new spark plug, put new gaskets on, but still the same problem. Does anyone know what may be causing this? I recently ordered a new carb and awaiting its arrival, but I dont know if the new carb will fix the problem or not. By the way, when I removed the sediment bowl, there was a white chalky substance in the shut off valve area, and there was also some grit in the tank and some water. As I mentioned, I cleaned out the tank and have cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and used a small diameter wire to run through the jets.:shrug:

JamnJM

Hf gx200 clone.... Predator are 212cc engines.

Stock air cleaner or a performance one?

Search on here for rejecting the carb....didn't need a new carb.

rmm727

Low speed (idle) jet is probably clogged. It is the black plug looking thing below the idle speed (rpm) screw. Remove that screw and pull it out. Look at it from the bottom, there will be a tiny hole that only goes up thru to a big hole that goes from side to side. Clean that small hole out. It doesn't take much to clog it.

buckeye

Agree with above post.
White crap is probobly from cheap ethonol gas.
Clean all that crap and those tiny holes. You should be good to go.

Tried cleaning the jet under the idle screw. It seemed to run a little better, as at least it would run with the choke off but it still did not want to idle when it came to a stop. To get it to start pulling out at first, I would have to push the bike a little with my feet on the ground to get it started out, and it would cut out once in a while and it would surge and start jerking when coming to a stop.

RobK

It probably never ran with the choke all the way off. Many of them are like that. You likely need to change the main jet or drill it out slightly larger.

buckeye

Isn't there a idle screw up where the throttle butterfly stops. Like a phillips head screw. Not sure I am describing it right.
The screw right to the right by the throttle arm on this one. I know it isn't the same engine but, close.

There is an idle screw and right under it is a black plastic jet that is inserted by just pushing it straight down (no threads) I pulled it out, cleaned it with a wire, and pushed it back in. It seemed to run just a little better, but still not right. I have a new carb ordered on its way and hopefully that will cure the problem. If not, I am going to purchase the 212 cc Predator engine. I bought one of those and put in on my dune buggy. Has lots of power. Only downfall is the oil senser kicks in when I make a sharp right hand turn and it cuts itself off.

Re-jetting might be an option I will try if a new carb does not solve the problem. By the way, I was trying to get the engine adjusted with the air filter off the engine. Would this have contributed to the engines problem? It is the stock air filter, but it was not on the engine while I was working with it. Does it need to be in place and tightened down?

rmm727

Isn't there a idle screw up where the throttle butterfly stops. Like a phillips head screw. Not sure I am describing it right.
The screw right to the right by the throttle arm on this one. I know it isn't the same engine but, close.
That's not the idle speed screw Buck. That one can raise or lower the governed rpm. Some will play with that screw and raise the governor from 3600 to about 5000 rpm.

Idle speed screw is on the carb.

rmm727

Re-jetting might be an option I will try if a new carb does not solve the problem. By the way, I was trying to get the engine adjusted with the air filter off the engine. Would this have contributed to the engines problem? It is the stock air filter, but it was not on the engine while I was working with it. Does it need to be in place and tightened down?
You should have the air filter in place, especially when riding it around. Otherwise, the engine might not operate right when theoretically correct jetting is used. Put the filter back on and ride it. An engine can run fine on a stand with no load but when on a mini run like crap.

rejetting is to enlarge the jets so i'm thinking a new carb would do the same thing and drill bit are cheeper that a carb :thumbsup: