Predator 212 just over stock build

I'm new to this section so if I'm not doing it right, let me know. Hent, I read the sticky.
I thought it might be fun to build a mini bike, as a hobby. I was right. Here are some results from the last three weeks of my efforts. I could talk in-depth about any of it, if you have questions. Also, this video was intended to be watched, "not read". The notes are there to answer the obvious questions.
Please let me know what you think...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv3mii5IBvg

Photo's of the Motovox refurb I bought for $224.99 that this engine will go on. I need to mount the seat and move the rear fender down about 1" for muffler clearance, (just over the tire) so it'll look like a hard tail chopper fender.

Last edited:
Nice job, rear fender looks good

I'm convinced, lowering the fender is the right thing to do. I just don't want to cut and weld anything, keeping it stock. I'll add some adapter brackets to lower the fender and mount the seat. Other than that, I don't see a problem with exhaust clearance or motor mount issues.:thumbsup:

I didn't tap mine because I might want to put the low oil sensor back in someday and I rather have the hole the way it was so it seals right. But, I was ready too. I have the set screw and the tap.
Did you say that was a stock rod running at 6300rpm's??? I've been told, right here that the predator 212 rod is the weak link in this engine...

Last edited:
Did you say that was a stock rod running at 6300rpm's??? I've been told, right here that the predator 212 rod is the weak link in this engine...
[/IMG]
That was the stock rod running 6950 rpm. the youtube video is darker than the original. It's runs at least 6600 for over 60 seconds until I run out of road.

For being a weak link I haven't seen a picture of one broken.

For being a weak link I haven't seen a picture of one broken.
Thanks a lot guys, it was easy. Things just kinda fell into place, including the video. Glad you liked it.

I'm thinkin Jay727 needs to listen to reason before trouble finds it way to his crankcase, I posted a vid of a broken rod but if you missed it...:weld::nuke:

Thanks a lot guys, it was easy. Things just kinda fell into place, including the video. Glad you liked it.

I'm thinkin Jay727 needs to listen to reason before trouble finds it way to his crankcase, I posted a vid of a broken rod but if you missed it...:weld::nuke:

[]
I bet that came out of a running engine. Thats not a blown rod. Yea, I'd have been out a whopping $107 if my stock rod had broke.

Thats all I'm saying.

Check the welds (or lack of) at the frame tubes to head tube on that motovox. A face plant into the pavement at 45mph is worse than a rod breaking in my opinion. But the aftermarket suppliers can't make money addressing that problem I guess.

I bet that came out of a running engine. Thats not a blown rod. Yea, I'd have been out a whopping $107 if my stock rod had broke.

Thats all I'm saying.

Check the welds (or lack of) at the frame tubes to head tube on that motovox. A face plant into the pavement at 45mph is worse than a rod breaking in my opinion. But the aftermarket suppliers can't make money addressing that problem I guess.
How many years have you been building small engines? And if you wanna defend the stock rod...create your own forum and make your own rules. Many come on here to read the proper way to do things...not some fool babbling about the one motor they had that didnt blow up. Well..from my 30 years of building them..I have sent many a factory rod through the block. And since billet has come out to the open market years ago and I started using them..guess what...I havent broke another rod since. So again..let the man have his thread back..and can the nonsense.:hammer:

old-timer

Scamming Member
How many years have you been building small engines? And if you wanna defend the stock rod...create your own forum and make your own rules. Many come on here to read the proper way to do things...not some fool babbling about the one motor they had that didnt blow up. Well..from my 30 years of building them..I have sent many a factory rod through the block. And since billet has come out to the open market years ago and I started using them..guess what...I havent broke another rod since. So again..let the man have his thread back..and can the nonsense.:hammer:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd also like to add, that to some of us $107.00 IS a lot of money :shrug:

Vic

How many years have you been building small engines? :
Back in the early 80's when I was 10 to 18 I had access to the two acre junkyard behind my uncles rental equipment and small engine repair shop, the largest one in the area since the 60's. During the summers I'd go to work with my dad and head out back and build things. Me and my brother would blow things up on purpose.

I think theres a difference in blowing engines up on purpose and just building them with high performance parts from the start.

I've seen what stock parts do, and don't do. But I have been out of it for a while, and these Chinese engines are new to me.

That one picture of a predator rod has been floating around. Looks like a casting defect to me. Why are there no other pictures of blown rods from predators?

I've got a spare predator in the box with a warranty, want to see how many rpm that rod can handle?

buckeye

Back in the early 80's when I was 10 to 18 I had access to the two acre junkyard behind my uncles rental equipment and small engine repair shop, the largest one in the area since the 60's. During the summers I'd go to work with my dad and head out back and build things. Me and my brother would blow things up on purpose.

I think theres a difference in blowing engines up on purpose and just building them with high performance parts from the start.

I've seen what stock parts do, and don't do. But I have been out of it for a while, and these Chinese engines are new to me.

That one picture of a predator rod has been floating around. Looks like a casting defect to me. Why are there no other pictures of blown rods from predators?

I've got a spare predator in the box with a warranty, want to see how many rpm that rod can handle?

With video please.:thumbsup:

With video please.:thumbsup:
Of course.

Just to be sure everyone knows my point. In this video it says the stock rod is good to 6300 rpm. Where does that come from? No one has a picture of a blown rod out of a predator so how is it known that they're only good to 6300?

old-timer says $107 is a lot of money to some of us, so why scare people into thinking they need to spend money on a rod they don't need?

Sorry to step into the thread with this, but it seems like false info to me. And I'm not talking shit, I'll actually prove it if I feel like it.

Video, free rev, unloaded, bone stock internals. My guess is that it'll hit high 7's before it has valve problems. I'll throw some springs in it before I start, maybe. I bet the valves go before the rod. And yes I do have a tach.