Predator 212 oil leak - help

wb4rt

I have a brand new Predator 212 engine. I drained the shipping oil, filled it with 10W30 nonsynthetic oil per the instructions, then mounted in on a stand and let it run for 3 hours with no load. I did vary the rpms some while breaking it in.

I noticed more than a few drops of oil leaking on the floor.

Then I mounted it on my bike and have ridden probably about 3 hours actual run time. I keep a close eye on the oil level. I still keep getting oil leaking on the floor.

I have not taken the engine off the frame yet to try to determine where it is leaking. It is not from the oil drain.

Any suggestions what to look for? Where to look? and what to do about it?

Should I just return the engine? I keep thinking it just needs running more.

dry it off wipe underneath make sure you do not see any oil and see if it still leaks without running it. Put fresh paper towels on the floor under it or a big drip pan that is wiped dry. If it is dripping look above where the drip is on the paper and see if you can find the leak. could be sidecover or one of the oil drain plugs. I had a small drip no matter what I did and finally checked the plugs and one was hand tight. Good thing it did not come out when I was riding it. I would think if the motor is mounted flat that it would not leak out of the crank seals unless it was running so that kind of leaves sidecover gasket, fill plugs or drain plugs. Unless it has a crack and that is a low probability.

cxbra

With my predator 212cc I had an oil leak like that too. I tracked it down to my engine side-cover. I thought I would have to pull the side cover and put a new gasket in there because ive heard of them leaking out of the sidecover due to there being NO gasket at all in some cases :doah:. I just kept riding and after about 10 hours of use I could see that the oil leak stopped all together. I think the gasket needed to "swell" a little and ive never had a problem since. Just ride it like you stole it and it should stop :thumbsup:.