Predator 212cc carburetor woes

I have a non-hemi Predator 212cc on an old manco quicksilver go-kart chassis, it's been in my dad's shed since 2012 or '13, can't remember. The reason being a worn jackshaft sprocket and a driver unit that stuck open and wore belts out in a matter of hours, and no time to mess with it back then. I ordered those parts the week before last with the idea that I'd throw them on, fill it up with fuel and new oil and be ready to go. This was not the case.

My dad and I both overlooked the fact that it still had almost a full tank of gas when it was put in storage, we use stabilizer but for 2.5/3 years of sitting that can only do so much. It wouldn't run unless it was completely choked, I was pretty sure it was carb related, but instead of getting straight to it and cleaning the carb I beat around the bush and tried Mechanic in a Bottle. That helped some, but I had to go ahead and take the carb off and give a real cleaning. The first go around I neglected to clean the idle jet, rookie mistake, I know. So I drug the kart out today with the intention of getting that done, but I ran out of carb cleaner and the air compressor is out of commission, so I don't have a way to properly clean the jet at the moment, and it desperately needs it.

Now to the real issue. I noticed that the o-ring on the jet was broken all to pieces, and I know that'll cause issues down the road. So I first looked at the o-ring kit I have, I had some that were the right diameter, but they were so thick that I could fit the jet back into the carb. So I went next door to my grandfather's to get his advice and see if he had a suitable replacement ring, he didn't, and I suggested I search around a few shops in our area to see what they have. Which I plan to do if my first option isn't viable. My first option being I found that OldMiniBikes has the idle jet for the Predator carb, but it's for the RuiXing model, my engine has a "Huayi" carb. I noticed they have separate idle screws for the different brands, so I'd think it would be the same way with the jet. Is it safe to assume OldMiniBikes warehouse only has one because the part is identical?

If not I'll have to get a completely new carb or look around for a replacement o-ring.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

buckeye

Hey Travis.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes. Great place for great advice.
Can't honestly answer your question.
Someone,will know.

Hey Travis.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes. Great place for great advice.
Can't honestly answer your question.
Someone,will know.
Thanks!

Lots of "take off" carbs out there! You can probably get a new carb for the price of a kit
Thanks for the reply. A new carb is ~$23 on ebay, or $18 on OldMiniBikes Warehouse, but I haven't checked to see what shipping costs are. The jet itself is $5, about a quarter of the price of a new carb, so I'd definitely like to go that route if possible. :thumbsup:

if you have to buy a new carb i would suggest a slide carb made by mikuni. they arnt too bad but you have to have a fuel shut off valve inbetween the tank and the carb, just incase the float sticks. i havent had any trouble with mine i use a 22mm mikuni . my bike does about 60mph . you have to turn the gas off cause if the float sticks youll comeback to your cart and the crank case will be full of gas&oil .thats a whole new problem though as the gas breaks down the oil.

Travis, shipping is 7.99, this will be the Ruixing replacement with the adjustable a/f idle circuit.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

if you have to buy a new carb i would suggest a slide carb made by mikuni. they arnt too bad but you have to have a fuel shut off valve inbetween the tank and the carb, just incase the float sticks. i havent had any trouble with mine i use a 22mm mikuni . my bike does about 60mph . you have to turn the gas off cause if the float sticks youll comeback to your cart and the crank case will be full of gas&oil .thats a whole new problem though as the gas breaks down the oil.
Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Travis, shipping is 7.99, this will be the Ruixing replacement with the adjustable a/f idle circuit.
Yeah, I found that out a bit after I made my last post actually. In the mean time I've been on the hunt for those o-rings, with no luck. At this point I'm leaning towards buying the whole carb, since $13 for the jet including shipping seems a bit pricey.

cant remember but i think i got my mikuni from affordable go karts dot com , you will also have to get a intake manifold/adaptor to put the slide carb on. just be sure to put a shutoff valve and use it.youll have to wash the inside of the engine and all the internal parts if the float sticks and fills your crankcase with gas. if you dont wash it out youll be buying a new motor soon as i found out. my mikuni float has only stuck a couple time s when it was new, now that its worn in a little i havent had any problems at all. other than when mikuni carbs are used , when the engine is shut off, it vents gas from the carb at shutoff. so if you try to restart again quikly , it wont , unless you are not a chicken and you barly give it some gas while you pull. do this on the compression stroke and it should start right back up. because of how long it sat replacing the carb should be the fix . anytime you have gas in a engine that just sits dump the gas , replace the carb -or take it apart and clean it {i recommend b-12 chemtool for that in particular}and it should start up when you put some clean gas thru it , change the plug too or at least clean it up.

Last edited: