predator clone mini bike problem

i put a predator clone in my doodlebug mini bike. i got it all installed and everything hooked up. i started it up just fine. but when i switched it from start to run. it took off away from me and was stopped by a wall. no damage to the engine or bike. i just need to know why it took off like that. please help

Nice. Happens often.

Is your clutch free spinning? It may need the bushing lightly oiled. If not that then your idle speed is higher than the clutch stall speed. Turn the idle screw down. The linkage could be hung on something or even hooked up wrong. If none of this helps post up some pix so the resident geniuses can take a stab at it

When I start an engine for the first time, or anytime after I make throttle/idle screw adjustments, I put the front tire up against the garage wall. Had one take off in my hands one time, was able to reach the kill switch but not pleasant.:doah:

The black governor/idle screw may be set too high, and engaging your clutch too soon.

Also, if you bought the base Max-Torque 12t clutch like I did for my Predator (with upgrades) I eventually changed to the heavier black clutch spring, so it engaged at higher rpm. There is also a Max-Torque Box Stock/Clone clutch with 10 & 11t options, it also engages at higher rpm. :thumbsup:

Will you unhook your throttle cable, and look at the top pic...just use the silver long lever..that will be your throttle first, just give it a try and see what happens..when you pull the lever towards the back of the engine it should Idle up and take off. But when you release the lever it should spring back forward by its self.. to the Idle position.

You might have to loosen the big nut in the center some more.

I got Max-Torque heavy black replacement spring from cometkartsales.com here is the link:

Max-Torque Replacement Springs :: Max Torque Clutches :: Clutches :: Comet Kart Sales

While you're on that page you might want to look at the Box Stock/Clone clutch they have. Make sure you loosen that top nut on the throttle lever. I also added an additional return spring to the throttle. Check out my project log where I point by point go through all this and more. I'm not a great mechanic, so it's all from the perspective of a noob, but I got great results. Check it out:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/p...s-classic-OldMiniBikes-predator-upgrades.html

i figured it out. the throttle wouldnt return all the way back. had to cut the tab off the cable holder. still having a problem. i had to install a strong spring to make it return but makes the twist throttle very hard. any suggestions