Pull starting 107ss cam?

Built up a briggs with a 107ss cam with corresponding parts, timing at 34 degrees (alky hl342 tilly) head shaved flat with slight valve pockets cut for .04 clearance with gasket. I've broken a few pull starters and almost my arm before so I don't mind a bit of a challenge but I want a fast bike that's at least moderately easy to start. After really screwing up my arm again I'm going to reduce timing some and prob put in a stock head to help. But still curious if you guys are pull starting some briggs' with 107ss cams..?

Advancing the timing will cause the motor to kick-back. I have a 12v drill and a 120v drill that sometimes can't get the job done.

Before I pull the rope, I slowly extend the handle about 1 ft. from the rewind. This gives you some cushion for a kick-back.

Here is an Animal rewind assembly and is the strongest setup in my opinion.

Thanks for the info guys. Checked timing and it was actually closer to 36-37 so I reduced it to 32 and put a stock head back on. Should have back on the bonanza and running tomorrow..

125ccCrazy

107ss, shaved head, R3 piston, arc 3hp flywheel etc etc...it pull starts.. The trick is to roll it over til it just comes off the comp stroke and then yank...

joshua. c.

My bike has a 107ss cam and an arc billet flywheel, with built in advanced timing. i found it kickes back almost every time. my solution is to flip a 7 degree advanced timing key the other way, in order to retard the timing a bit. i do loose a little performance but it seems to stop the kick back, so its well worth it.
the first time i tried to start the bike with a stock keyway i stood on the rong side and it whipped me in the nuts. after that the advanced timing had to go! its more fun when you aren't scaird to start the bike.

Last edited: