PVC Pipe Frame

I was wondering if anyone ever made a frame out of pvc pipe,and did it work? I am thinking about an experiment with pvc and JB Weld.....Of course,it would have to have a small lightweight engine.....Give me your opinions,pro or con.

lol never say never. I dont know about a minibike but im sure its been tried as a gokart. why jb weld? pvc glue is definatly not going to be the weak point. your elbows will go first. im really not sure youll be able to pull it off unless you weigh like 50lbs. youll have to use like 2" pvc and reinforce the forks and neck area somehow. the harbor freight 99cc engines are real light like 20lbs

Thanks for the attachments-it does prove that it can be done. I was thinking of a micro,Tom Thumb-style frame-none of the pipes would be longer than 12inches without reinforcement,and a small two cycle engine could be used because it wouldn't have the torque of a four-cycle. The only stumbling block is the fork-it will take a lot of abuse. The seat area would,of course,be reinforced by vertical tubes. This whole concept is that of a small,lightweight bike that can be carried around like a skateboard. I agree with the others that if one tried to make a full-size frame,it would probably last about 10 feet.
And the proper adhesive is of paramount importance. Now,I currently weigh about 230 libs,so maybe I AM crazy.....

george3

Thanks for the attachments-it does prove that it can be done. I was thinking of a micro,Tom Thumb-style frame-none of the pipes would be longer than 12inches without reinforcement,and a small two cycle engine could be used because it wouldn't have the torque of a four-cycle. The only stumbling block is the fork-it will take a lot of abuse. The seat area would,of course,be reinforced by vertical tubes. This whole concept is that of a small,lightweight bike that can be carried around like a skateboard. I agree with the others that if one tried to make a full-size frame,it would probably last about 10 feet.
And the proper adhesive is of paramount importance. Now,I currently weigh about 230 libs,so maybe I AM crazy.....
230lbs. better go with 3". lol

I was gonna say why not, its an engineering challenge - push the boundrys.

I was holding onto a piece of Gum Wood at work the other day and its hard as nails - got me thinking about a wooden frame. Don't think it would work for off road riding, but as a head turner for the road why not.

You could fill the tubes with polyurethane foam that would make it as ridged as can be.

For the cost of the experiment I say crack on:thumbsup:

As far as a wood frame goes,one must remember that lots of aircraft are made of wood-as were Morgan sports cars. So the PVC concept is worth a try,at least. The worst that can happen is when I sit on the frame,it breaks. I have five mini bikes already that go at least 30 mph-speed is not of primary importance here. I'll take my chances with one that goes 15 mph. Is it any worse than falling off a bicycle?

joekd

A guy around here built a "campground car" with a PVC frame and electric motor

It was pretty much just a 2 seater kart with bicycle wheels on all 4 corners