Ratbike's "Twin Engine Super Trike"

Or use a DPST switch. (Double pole, single throw) They're usually a bit smaller in size. Four terminals.

Short terminals 4 and 5 together and run them to ground. Then wire each engine, 1 to 1 and 2 to 2.

Ratbike

Or use a DPST switch. (Double pole, single throw) They're usually a bit smaller in size. Four terminals.

Short terminals 4 and 5 together and run them to ground. Then wire each engine, 1 to 1 and 2 to 2.
Cool , thanks Dave...May do that later, wish I had done more research, but thats what we're doing now.:shrug::thumbsup:

Cool , thanks Dave...May do that later, wish I had done more research, but thats what we're doing now.:shrug::thumbsup:
I never would have thought you couldn't parallel two coils together. But when you think about it, engine one see's the resistance in the coil of engine two, and says "oh no, a ground, I'm not generating power."

Not only that, but each engine see's "both" coils, and that makes more resistance.

I'd imagine the tricky part is finding that switch with a clamp for handlebar mounting. But heck, on that trike you have plenty of room. Could even make a little console or something and add an ejection seat button, and thumb tack dispenser. :thumbsup:

Ratbike

I'd imagine the tricky part is finding that switch with a clamp for handlebar mounting. But heck, on that trike you have plenty of room. Could even make a little console or something and add an ejection seat button, and thumb tack dispenser. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::clap::clap: I know right???:shrug:

me neither, that is something I never knew how to size/spec. Maybe Pardue knows?
Missed that! Drew a diagram explaining all the ways mentioned that work, and why a single switch or diodes won't work.

Bottom line: magnetos generate AC power. Unless connected by a common crankshaft and timed to fire at the same time, the two magnetos are virtually always out of phase. A single switch ties the phases together, giving erratic ignition to both engines. Dual switches, or a double pole switch, separate the phases and keeps everything happy.

Since diodes block DC in one direction, in this case they would act as 1/2 wave rectifiers, causing 1/2 the AC magneto power to collide with the other engine.

All explained in the drawing. Interesting setup to consider.

If a bike had a battery system, a one or two relay setup could be triggered by a single switch. A bypass toggle switch or switches would allow starting if the battery was dead.

Cool to see the trike running, it sounds great and looks geared for speed!

Jon

Ratbike

Missed that! Drew a diagram explaining all the ways mentioned that work, and why a single switch or diodes won't work.

Bottom line: magnetos generate AC power. Unless connected by a common crankshaft and timed to fire at the same time, the two magnetos are virtually always out of phase. A single switch ties the phases together, giving erratic ignition to both engines. Dual switches, or a double pole switch, separate the phases and keeps everything happy.

Since diodes block DC in one direction, in this case they would act as 1/2 wave rectifiers, causing 1/2 the AC magneto power to collide with the other engine.

All explained in the drawing. Interesting setup to consider.

If a bike had a battery system, a one or two relay setup could be triggered by a single switch. A bypass toggle switch or switches would allow starting if the battery was dead.

Cool to see the trike running, it sounds great and looks geared for speed!

Jon
Thanks Pardue!!! Makes perfect sense...I think in pics :thumbsup: Great info!!!:scooter::scooter::scooter:

On the Spitler bike I ended up using a single pole/ double throw/ center off/ momentary switch, just because I didn't want to drill another hole in the finished bike.
The center (common) terminal has the ground wired to it. The ignition from each motor is wired seperately to each of the other two poles. When left alone in the center positon, both engine can be started individually. You then kill each engine individually by toggling the switch left or right.
So in our case, we are using it as a "center on" switch. It would not be ideal in an emergency situation to have to kill each engine individually, but this bike will never see the track again and I like the option of shutting one down while the other one runs.

Hope that makes sense.

Ratbike

On the Spitler bike I ended up using a single pole/ double throw/ center off/ momentary switch, just because I didn't want to drill another hole in the finished bike.
The center (common) terminal has the ground wired to it. The ignition from each motor is wired seperately to each of the other two poles. When left alone in the center positon, both engine can be started individually. You then kill each engine individually by toggling the switch left or right.
So in our case, we are using it as a "center on" switch. It would not be ideal in an emergency situation to have to kill each engine individually, but this bike will never see the track again and I like the option of shutting one down while the other one runs.

Hope that makes sense.
Sure does ... Thanks guys!!:thumbsup:

Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense :thumbsup: The drawing has been updated with a new page 3 to depict accurately how the Spitler bike is wired. That beautiful machine deserves technically accurate documentation. Because the "center ground" is superior, the DPDT toggle on page 5 now reflects that detail as well.