Re-installing stock throttle system on Clone 6.5hp ?

Hi all!

I am in the process of getting my Baja mini bike back up and running. I have received my new carburetor and put it on the bike. Unfortunately during disassembly I wasn't very smart and forgot to get good photos of the throttle setup. Below are the photos I do have.

3.jpg
6.jpg

I am basically set with where each sprint attaches to the governor arm. My issue is where everything goes carburetor/throttle linkage side. I have the hard bar from the governor to the carb throttle done already, and I believe the silver spring that can be seen on the photos that is covering the hard line needs to go to the carb as well so I will go connect that. Just wondering where I might connect the last 2 springs, the Big one and the rusty one.

I was having an issue figuring out how the cable throttle controls the carb but I see now that it is basically the governor arm that controls the carb via the hard line and the throttle cable.

Attachments

I am also curious if anyone can tell me the position of the governor arm when the engine is off as well as at WOT.

I am wondering if the arm is closest to the back of the bike at idle? and then it moves toward the front of the bike as the RPMs increase?

george3

The skinny spring over the rod is not needed It is intended on an engine to make it start at full throttle with out turning the throttle assembly. I just remove them. The heavy spring goes the other way to shut down the throttle down to idle position. And also to have spring tension on the twist throttle.

The skinny spring over the rod is not needed It is intended on an engine to make it start at full throttle with out turning the throttle assembly. I just remove them. The heavy spring goes the other way to shut down the throttle down to idle position. And also to have spring tension on the twist throttle.
Hi George,

Thanks for replying :) I was out having a look at the bike again today. Dealing first with the throttle and its cable. It was ass backwards which makes me worry about how the springs "where" on the bike.

Anyways, as per your suggestion i removed the small silver spring that was around the rod as I seen what you were speaking about, it was pulling the throttle open.

Now for the other 2 springs, the large silver one, and the small rusty one. I wasn't sure what you were talking about exactly but after looking at the throttle setup it looks like ill need to put one of the springs on the governor arm and put the other end towards the front of the bike, thus pulling the governor arm back and allowing the butterfly to sit back on the idle screw. The 2nd spring I will need to attach to the metal throttle bar (cable area) and attach to the governor arm

(*working on the bike mid post...lol)

As per your suggestion, I ran the large spring from the governor arm to the fan shroud bolt closest to the front of the bike. I then ran the rusty spring from the governor arm to the metal throttle assembly. It appears to function properly although I will have to twist the throttle a little ways before the bike will rev I think, but I should be able to adjust that by moving holes. Does this sound about right George? Again, thanks!

(*Thinking about it more, that delay where Id need to turn the throttle a bit before it would increase in RPM could be helped by re-attaching that small silver spring that is on the rod. I will keep that in mind)

Last edited: