Real Honda vs. Clone

RobK

What are everybody's thoughts on real Honda GX200 vs the HF Grayhound clone? I recently picked up a pressure washer with a GX200 that had been sitting for a long time and recently got water in it. All I had to do was change the oil and clean the carb and it runs great. I was going to sell the Honda and use the proceeds for clone performance parts. Now I"m thinking about building up the Honda. Are the real Honda's that much better? The short answer, I suppose, is yes. However, what does that mean? Are the flywheels more reliable? Other parts? Obvioiusly I'd still need a billet rod, but what about th rest?

A lot depends on the condition of the Honda.

If its worn and needs machine work then you need to figuere out the difference its going to cost to rebuild compared to starting new witha clone.

The build quality of the Honda over all is better and it can be stronger motor.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

SOme guys build strong clones that are as reliable and strong as a Honda.
But over all the castings in Honda are better and stronger and the tollerences are tighter.

A tight strong engine is what you need to build.
Honda did most of the work for you less the race parts a clone will require some extra work.

you pay for what you get in this world i just bid on a hs-40 moter i bid 225.00 on it that was my limet i looked today it was 400.00 thats right people will pay it wen you sell a mini bike people say ill give you 250.00 dollers for it wen you part it out you get 300.00 to 500,00 for it a stock honda is better that a stock clone but the guys put money in em then there better the name of the game is money i rebuiled a rupp i got 2.000. in it if i sell it i get 300. to 500. for it so i keep it an enjoy it keep the honda gx-200 it a good moter

how much power do you plan on making? if you're going to do 15-17hp just stick with the clone, more than that i'd use the Honda.

even if you use the Honda, you still need to get a billet flywheel if you remove the governor.

RobK

I'm not into racing, so for reliability and cost sake, I'll likely stay in the 10-15 HP range. I guess I could go either way, Honda or clone, and be just fine.