Recommendations for replacement carb??

Please forgive me if there is a similar post to this: I just could not figure out what search term to use to find it.

I have a Briggs 5hp horizontal motor with the crappy pulsa-jet carb. I have done EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to get this carb to idle but it absolutely refuses. And before you guys read the rest let me just say that I spent 2 days researching every possible problem and the fixes for them. If you hold choke until you can rev the motor then she revs beautifully but once drops below a certain rpm it dies.

So I have read on here about a couple of guys scrapping the briggs carb for another brand IE Tecumseh. What I would like to know is what is a good carb to use and where can I get the adaptor for mounting it??

*edit*
By the way nice site, already found a lot of useful info and ive only been looking for 30 minutes.

Gas Cap = New

Diaphragm = I already overhauled the carb.

Kyle
Welcome to the site!Then you probably just have a bad carb for whatever reason, I have done the same with no results sometimes they just get so gummed up it becomes a part of the carb and no amount of soaking spraying or cleaning out holes will work it loose! That or it has an air leak you are'nt seeing. The pulsa jet carb is not that bad, but like everything sometimes ya get a bad one! They are on ebay for little to nothing used and not much more rebuilt, and guaranteed! I have several engines that use them and all but one run great, I rebuilt the carb on a 5hp I have and still it wants to give me grief! I will get a rebuilt older no EPA unit and cross my fingers! Good luck!

If your changing the carb, my choice would be the small 2 piece flojet. These came on the 3hp briggs but will give you more power than the pulsajet. The large flojet would work too, but may actually give you less torque.

Ok so any other ideas? Id like to have links if possible. I found an ebay listing for 2 5hp flowjet carbs.

If any other ideas like tecumseh carbs I still need the adaptor. where can i get these?

cxbra

I have been having woes w/ the pulsa jet carb too once the fuel gets low. It feels like its not sucking up any gas once it gets past the last 1/3 of a tank. I need to check my gas cap to see if its vented for tonights ride also... For a while it was running MEGA lean no matter what I did, and I think it was just that it wasnt enough fuel to syphon into the carb. Ohh well, as long as I keep it over half-full it rips!

By the way, can someone tell me how the short tube works at the bottom of the carb if its not submerged (or is it submerged in its own small tank??) like the long tube that goes to the bottom of the tank?

cxbra

Before you give up replace the pump diaphram. They're real cheap. Also check to make sur the gas cap is vented and not plugged.
Thanks man, I was having really bad issues w/ fuel starvation for no reason and it was because the vent on the tank was clogged. The engine was from a snowblower so the gas cap has separate chambers to keep snow out and they rusted closed. I knew that it had to be vented, but it looked vented until I inspected. Its the little things that really count..

You can make your own intake if you have decent welding skills. Then you can use a mikuni or mikuni clone carb.

I prefer Tillotsons thought.

You would also have to use an external gas tank.

I have been having woes w/ the pulsa jet carb too once the fuel gets low. It feels like its not sucking up any gas once it gets past the last 1/3 of a tank. I need to check my gas cap to see if its vented for tonights ride also... For a while it was running MEGA lean no matter what I did, and I think it was just that it wasnt enough fuel to syphon into the carb. Ohh well, as long as I keep it over half-full it rips!

By the way, can someone tell me how the short tube works at the bottom of the carb if its not submerged (or is it submerged in its own small tank??) like the long tube that goes to the bottom of the tank?
Yeah..... theres lots of problems with thos POS things.. They get gummed up and the check ball at the top of the main tube will get messed up... A super long soak in mineral spirits helps sometimes.. Boil it.. whatever...

ANOTHER thing to look for is obviosly yout pickup tubeds being cracked or plugged...

But one thing a LOT of people do not think to check is the throttle shaft... If there is an abundance of slop in the throttle shaft she's a goner.. :hammer: you can pull a good one from a broken in half carb but otherwise is parts....

I prefer the Tecumseh carbs, a lot people like the Tillotsons but they usually want a fuel pump to work right.. The Flowjet updraft Briggs carbs work pretty great if you can find one for the 3-5 horse bolt pattern but the 8 horse you might as well give up on...

If you run a Tillotson, Mikuni, Tecumseh on the motor... You can get after market racing parts intake manifolds pretty cheap on Evilbay...

Briggs Racing Kart Engine Parts Tillotson Intake Raptor: eBay Motors (item 190402418318 end time Jun-10-10 19:20:29 PDT)