Replacing Plug Wire,,

I have a briggs 5hp, the points are set up perfect, clean and sealed off, the coil is nice and clean and the flywheel has mad magnets, so theres no reason i shouldent get good spark,

but, the motor was sitting outside without a boot on the plug terminal thing, and i think the rust may have corroded the wire and terminal contact, causing a loss in spark for the plug,

if i were to get a single car plug wire, say a taylor wire, or a bosch,

how would i go about attaching that onto the coil itself? and does the wire make a noticable difference in spark power?

Just replace the end on your existing wire and install a boot. Cut off about a half inch of the wire, strip it and put on the new end. They have everything you need at any auto parts store.

but a new peice of taylor wire with a boot on one end is like 20$, so if i could get that, and replace it at the coil that would be best,,

The wire its self cant be changed, its molded (for lack of a better word) into the coil. So if the wire is still long enough you can change the end or replace the coil.

ohh, i see, is there any high performance coils out there that would be better? like one with a nice wire?

just curious as im about to P&P this briggs and get a better flowing system out of it, so might as well get a nice spark, i bought like 6 E3 plugs to find one that the opening in the plug gap faces the piston to direct spark that way, like i do in my HP car engines, like my 400, and the 5 i didnt need, i put in all my power equiment,

depending on the coil you have you can change the wire but it is a pain in the ass . i did it on a few coils, do to the only one coil and it has a bad wire and no parts :censure: the wire is copper core not carbon fiber like car wires so you cant use car wires to replace a wire in your motor .you may be able to get the copper wire at a motorcycle shop or a atv parts store , old tractor used it too so if some one does ford 2n 8n 9n they should have some . but like i said it is a pain and you may bust the coil getting the wire out .i would try the skin the wire back a 1/2 inch and see if you and get clean wire .

125ccCrazy

they can be replaced but are a little work, I've done several but it takes some time and patience..

The Taylor spiral core wires work great, thats all I use on my wire swaps... I have not had any trouble with using them either, just don't use a carbon (graphite) core wire..

Here is a 3hp Briggs coil I changed out with a Taylor wire..

they can be replaced but are a little work, I've done several but it takes some time and patience..

The Taylor spiral core wires work great, thats all I use on my wire swaps... I have not had any trouble with using them either, just don't use a carbon (graphite) core wire..

Here is a 3hp Briggs coil I changed out with a Taylor wire..
this taylor wire is it a copper core wire ? dum question but i never messed with it .