Replacing Rear Sprocket On Fox Campus Bike

Last week I purchased the 1962 Fox Campus bike shown in pic#1 from Smallbikes88. The teeth on the rear sprocket were worn nearly flat (pic#2) and needed to be replaced. On all the steel wheeled Foxes the sprockets are welded directly to the hub assembly. However, a few minutes on the bandsaw made short work of the old sprocket (pic#3) and I was left with the hub and remnants of the sprocket (pic#4) still attached. Using the lathe I removed the major portion of the old sprocket as shown in pic#5. To be continued. Ogy

With a little more lathe work the last of the old sprocket was removed as shown in pic#6 Next I cut a circle from 1/2" plate and after drilling holes to match the hub and the lugs in the wheel flange I used the lathe to true both faces so that they were parallel and perfectly flat as in pic#7. In pic#8 you can see the backside where I drilled recessed holes that would allow me to use the lug nuts to hold the hub assembly in place. Pictures #9 & #10 show the hub and flange assembly attached to the flat circular plate. Continued.

Pic#11 shows the new sprocket about to be placed in the jig. Before placing the new sprocket in the jig; I machined three spacers of equal length like those in pic#12 and then arranged them around the circumference of the circular plate as shown in pic#13. The sprocket was then placed in the jig (pic#14) and clamped in place (pic#15). Continued.

Pic#16 shows a closeup of the new sprocket welded in place and pic#17 shows the completed new hub and sprocket assembly ready for plating. Thanks for visiting my thread. Ogy

Great job oggy I keep finding more and more uses or excuses to use my lathe as well , it sure makes life easier with the right tools.
I have made up hubs for some of my projects and used similar techniques with both good and bad results.
Did it stay true after welding any more tips ?
Rob

Bigrob, I have done this with six or more of my Fox Campus restorations and it works unbelievably well. When I finish each one I chuck it in the lathe and check it with the dial indicator. The most that any one of them has been out was about .005" and I can certainly live with that. The one pic shows the use of jiffy clamps to hold the assembly together. I just used those for taking the picture. When I welded it up I used extra large, heavy duty C clamps. That way nothing can move. Thanks for writing. Ogy