Replacing tires...

okay, my wife and i are killing the tires on our new doodlebug because we're riding it around so much.

simple question, probably a dumb one...
can i replace the tires myself like i would a bicycle tire? or do i need to take the wheels somewhere like discount tire and have them mount the tires? i've never had an ATV/minibike thing before, so this is all new to me

thanks!

you can do it your self but it will kick you ass the first few times
Care to elaborate on that some?

I'm looking at the same thing. Is this a use the motorcycle tire spoons type deal. Try to warm the tire in the sun for a while & then use a bit of soapy water?

Or.... Take them down to the local Les Schwabs?

Here's a potentially dumb question. Anyone have their tires balanced & if so, are they spun or bubble balanced?

well they db tires are tubeless so the bead is crazy tight. soapy water will help but it was very hard for me to change the first two tires on my dbn.

thanks for the info guys. sounds like a quick trip to the tire place them to have them mount them.....provided they don't try to charge me an insane amount.

Changing tires on the DB is a cinch! No need to take it to a tire shop. In most cases, the cost of changing the tire is worth more than the tire itself!

I had never changed a tubeless tire before and I managed to change the rear tire on my DB is less than 1 hour and that includes the removal and reinstallation of the wheel. The actual tire change took 20 minutes at most and I didn't require any tools (other than my air compressor to fill up the new tire!). I removed the brake disc and sprocket to make things a little easier.

Breaking the bead is straightforward and take a few seconds and a bit of grit. I used my bare hands and some body weight. I then rolled the tire off the rim. Installing the new tire was a bit more of a trick, but still easy. You basically roll the tire onto the rim. Once you get one side on, the other falls into place very easily. Patience is needed. I used some grease to lube the beads of the tire tire so it would slip onto the rim easier.

I googled how to change a tubeless tire, but everything seemed to be specific to motorcycle tires, which require a beadbreaker and tire irons. Our DB's do not require these tools and the entire process can be done by hand. Tools are only needed to remove and reinstall the wheel assembly onto the bike!

If i could descibe the process, its VERY similar to changing a bicycle tire, with the exception of you needing to break the bead, which again, isn't a big deal.

Changing tires on the DB is a cinch! No need to take it to a tire shop. In most cases, the cost of changing the tire is worth more than the tire itself!

I had never changed a tubeless tire before and I managed to change the rear tire on my DB is less than 1 hour and that includes the removal and reinstallation of the wheel. The actual tire change took 20 minutes at most and I didn't require any tools (other than my air compressor to fill up the new tire!). I removed the brake disc and sprocket to make things a little easier.

Breaking the bead is straightforward and take a few seconds and a bit of grit. I used my bare hands and some body weight. I then rolled the tire off the rim. Installing the new tire was a bit more of a trick, but still easy. You basically roll the tire onto the rim. Once you get one side on, the other falls into place very easily. Patience is needed. I used some grease to lube the beads of the tire tire so it would slip onto the rim easier.

If i could descibe the process, its VERY similar to changing a bicycle tire, with the exception of you needing to break the bead, which again, isn't a big deal.

i do basically the same thing. but i dont have a lot of body weight to throw around. i leave the sprocket on so the rim wont fall over while im pushing on the tire.

Changing tires on the DB is a cinch...

...I used my bare hands and some body weight....
:eek: :scared: :bowdown:

Well now... With a handle like JOEMAMA. I'm a bit surprised you didn't just bite the tire off & spit it out like a sunflower seed. :lol:

Just kiddin' with you. I appreciate your write up. It's been a while since I've changed a tire.

The last time was a new pair of Dunlop knobby's on an XR-400. I recall the front tire being rather uneventful & the rear tire about kickin' my :asshole:! I threw that tire out into the 100+ degree Arizona sun for an hour or two while I took a break. That seemed to help a bit, but it was still a bee-otch.

I see that no one has made any mention of balancing these minibike tire & wheel combo's. I take it that only the fast guys are even concerned about this?