Riding Lawn Mower Engine?

Hello, all. I'm quite new to this forum, and to minibikes, so I hope I don't seem stupid. In about a week, I'm going to visit some relatives, and apparently, they have an old rider lawn mower that I might be able to salvage an engine off of. Apparently it has some carb problems. I'm hoping to build my first minibike soon, and I'm wondering if something like this would work. And no, I can't get any more information. Thanks.

It can be done if you want to fabricate something.. Most any riding mower engine is not only too big, but now days most all of them have the crank shaft coming out the bottom.. It would actually be much easier to change the gear ratio in the mower by changing the pulleys in it, to speed it up some, and use it like a gokart..

If it is just a carb issue, you can probably get the mower working, sell the mower for 300 bucks, and buy a minibike..

if its a horizontal shaft yes but it probrobly isnt so using it is not a good option. Converting is vertical shaft to horizontal is not as simple as flipping it over and you end up with a bit of a hack job.
A much better option is to sell the mower for 2 or 3 hundred bucks and buy a minibike engine and still pay for all the mods and restoration :thumbsup:

Lol, thanks for the answers guys. I wish it was that simple, however I wouldn't be able to transport the whole mower (just the engine). However, I might be able to have someone sell it for me. The notion of a gokart riding mower does interest me though, and once I am able to look at the engine I may end up doing that. Once again, thanks.

HAHA!! I was being a smart ass... :laugh:

I don't think he knows really.. The first post says something about it's a friend of a friends hand me down, don't really know much about it yet..

I was just screwing around with ya

toomanytoys

HAHA!! I was being a smart ass... :laugh:

I don't think he knows really.. The first post says something about it's a friend of a friends hand me down, don't really know much about it yet..

I was just screwing around with ya
got me excited. I like old cubs, well any old tractor honestly. A nice K series side shift Kohler is worth a bit of cash in the cub circles.